Junior Member

Thumbs up Help creating new functions for Excel 2013

Does anyone know how to create new functions?

I am trying to write a formula that will return the Date Modified for another cell. Does anyone know how to do this?

I tried entering the formula =IF(C2="Complete", TODAY(), "")
but that only returns me todays, date and not the date that I marked my task as complete.

Can anyone help? :)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Help creating new functions for Excel 2013

Hi,

Am Mon, 19 Aug 2013 16:41:23 +0100 schrieb Jschock:

I tried entering the formula =IF(C2="Complete", TODAY(), "")
but that only returns me todays, date and not the date that I marked my
task as complete.

TODAY() is a volatile function and shows always today. That means the
value is changing every new day.
You have to write your date manually or with VBA.

Regards
Claus B.
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claus Busch View Post
Hi,

Am Mon, 19 Aug 2013 16:41:23 +0100 schrieb Jschock:

I tried entering the formula =IF(C2="Complete", TODAY(), "")
but that only returns me todays, date and not the date that I marked my
task as complete.

TODAY() is a volatile function and shows always today. That means the
value is changing every new day.
You have to write your date manually or with VBA.

Regards
Claus B.
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2
Claus,

How do I write the date with VBA? Can you explain this process to me - I've been trying to read about it but am getting a bit lost.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

Am Mon, 19 Aug 2013 18:10:28 +0100 schrieb Jschock:

How do I write the date with VBA? Can you explain this process to me -
I've been trying to read about it but am getting a bit lost.

if your "Complete" is in column C and the date should be in column D,
then right click on sheet tab and paste the code into the code window:

If Intersect(Target, Range("C:C")) Is _
Nothing Then Exit Sub

If Target = "Complete" Then _
Target.Offset(0, 1) = Date
End Sub

In other case please post your table layout

Regards
Claus B.
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 16:41:23 +0100, Jschock wrote:

Does anyone know how to create new functions?

Yes, of course. Google "excel user defined functions" (without
quotes).

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...