-   -   Help with column accumulation needed (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/448934-help-column-accumulation-needed.html)

[email protected]

Help with column accumulation needed

Column A has a set of random values.
Many of them are repeated but are not consecutive to each other.
Column B has a value for each column A entry.
For example
a 5
c 6
b 3
d 1
a 2
b 4
f 2
g 5
c 3

I want to total all the values in col b for each value in col a.
The result should show A = 7, B = 7, C = 9, D = 1, F = 2 & G = 5.

I hope this is self explanatory.
Thanks for any and all help.

Spencer101

Quote:

Originally Posted by (Post 1612521)
Column A has a set of random values.
Many of them are repeated but are not consecutive to each other.
Column B has a value for each column A entry.
For example
a 5
c 6
b 3
d 1
a 2
b 4
f 2
g 5
c 3

I want to total all the values in col b for each value in col a.
The result should show A = 7, B = 7, C = 9, D = 1, F = 2 & G = 5.

I hope this is self explanatory.
Thanks for any and all help.

You could use a pivot table to do this, or for a formula based solution, if you have A in cell F1, B in F2, C in F3 etc. then put =SUMIF(A:A,F1,B:B) in cell G1 and copy down.