-   -   excel question (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/44854-excel-question.html)

jt42

excel question

How can I get the average of every six values (rows) in a column?

Ragdyer

Do you mean:
1 to 6
2 to 7
3 to 8

Then just enter this formula and copy down as needed:

=AVERAGE(A1:A6)

OR, do you mean:
1 to 6
7 to 12
13 to 18

Then just enter this formula and copy down as needed:

=AVERAGE(INDEX(A:A,6*ROW(A1)-5):INDEX(A:A,6*ROW(A1)))

--
HTH,

RD

"jt42" wrote in message
How can I get the average of every six values (rows) in a column?

jt42

Yes, I meant the latter:
1 to 6, 7 to 12, 13 to 18, etc.
I thought that perhaps there is a formula using bin of 6, but what you
suggested works very well.
Many thanks, Joanna

"jt42" wrote in message
How can I get the average of every six values (rows) in a column?

Ragdyer

Appreciate the feed-back.

RD

"Ragdyer" wrote:

Do you mean:
1 to 6
2 to 7
3 to 8

Then just enter this formula and copy down as needed:

=AVERAGE(A1:A6)

OR, do you mean:
1 to 6
7 to 12
13 to 18

Then just enter this formula and copy down as needed:

=AVERAGE(INDEX(A:A,6*ROW(A1)-5):INDEX(A:A,6*ROW(A1)))

--
HTH,

RD

-
Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit

!

-