-   -   how can I multiply 7feet and 6ft 8in? (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/44122-how-can-i-multiply-7feet-6ft-8in.html)

epout

how can I multiply 7feet and 6ft 8in?

How can I multiply 7feet and 6ft 8in using Excel?

I have 7' in A1 column, 6' 8" in B1 column.
When I did =a1 * b1, I get #VALUE! I stretched the column wider
hoping the #VALUE! will disappear and figure comes out. NOPE. Why?

Please help the beginner.

--
epout
epout's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27037

Paul Sheppard

epout Wrote:
How can I multiply 7feet and 6ft 8in using Excel?

I have 7' in A1 column, 6' 8" in B1 column.
When I did =a1 * b1, I get #VALUE! I stretched the column wider
hoping the #VALUE! will disappear and figure comes out. NOPE. Why?

Please help the beginner.

Hi epout

take a look at this earlier thread, may help

http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...highlight=feet

and this link

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/fractional.htm

--
Paul Sheppard

Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24783
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=444810

Barb Reinhardt

It's probably because you are multiplying something that's text. Why not
convert to inches and put the format in with CELL FORMAT.

"epout" wrote in
message ...