-   -   counting rows with same values for multiple values (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/42525-counting-rows-same-values-multiple-values.html)

Jon Viehe

counting rows with same values for multiple values

I have a list of 150 assets which are assigned to 20 or so depts. How can I
count the number of assets per dept. In essence counting the number of times
different values reoccur? For example

Asset1 - dept1
asset2 - dept 1
asset3-dept2
asset4-dept2
asset5-dept3

dept1 has 2 assets
dept2 has 2 assets
dept3 has 1 asset

Id like to avoid doing a COUNTIF and having to type each dept name

Paul Sheppard

Jon Viehe Wrote:
I have a list of 150 assets which are assigned to 20 or so depts. How
can I
count the number of assets per dept. In essence counting the number of
times
different values reoccur? For example

Asset1 - dept1
asset2 - dept 1
asset3-dept2
asset4-dept2
asset5-dept3

dept1 has 2 assets
dept2 has 2 assets
dept3 has 1 asset

Id like to avoid doing a COUNTIF and having to type each dept name

Hi Jon

A pivot table would give you the answer you are looking for

--
Paul Sheppard

Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24783
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=399490

Bob Phillips

Separate columns?

If so

=COUNTIF(B:B,"dept1")

--

HTH

RP

"Jon Viehe" wrote in message
I have a list of 150 assets which are assigned to 20 or so depts. How can

count the number of assets per dept. In essence counting the number of

times
different values reoccur? For example

Asset1 - dept1
asset2 - dept 1
asset3-dept2
asset4-dept2
asset5-dept3

dept1 has 2 assets
dept2 has 2 assets
dept3 has 1 asset

Id like to avoid doing a COUNTIF and having to type each dept name

Jon Viehe

Could you walk me through it? I spent a lot of time trying to figure it out
on my own along with F1, but got lost. Looked at pivot tables too, but
again, confused.

"Paul Sheppard"
wrote in message
news:Paul.Sheppard.1udpqz_1125072379.5499@excelfor um-nospam.com...

Jon Viehe Wrote:
[...]

Wait, I think that did it. I just dragged the column into the column and
data area of the pivot table and I think it gave me what i wanted. Thanks.

Jon Viehe Wrote:
I have a list of 150 assets which are assigned to 20 or so depts. How
can I
count the number of assets per dept. In essence counting the number of
times
different values reoccur? For example

Asset1 - dept1
asset2 - dept 1
asset3-dept2
asset4-dept2
asset5-dept3

dept1 has 2 assets
dept2 has 2 assets
dept3 has 1 asset

Id like to avoid doing a COUNTIF and having to type each dept name

Hi Jon

A pivot table would give you the answer you are looking for

--
Paul Sheppard

Paul Sheppard's Profile:
View this thread: