-   -   how to have numbers add/sub without putting = infront (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/38292-how-have-numbers-add-sub-without-putting-%3D-infront.html)

captdewey

how to have numbers add/sub without putting = infront

I am trying to enter numbers without putting an equals sign infront of the
numbers. I want to add or subtratct the numbers I put in. I have some
worksheets that I can do that to and some I can't. For example, If I put in
a cell 5+5, I want it to show 10 without having to put an equals sign in
front of it. I also know if you put +5+5, you will get 10, but I am looking
for the way where you can just put 5+5 and have 10

gls858

captdewey wrote:
I am trying to enter numbers without putting an equals sign infront of the
numbers. I want to add or subtratct the numbers I put in. I have some
worksheets that I can do that to and some I can't. For example, If I put in
a cell 5+5, I want it to show 10 without having to put an equals sign in
front of it. I also know if you put +5+5, you will get 10, but I am looking
for the way where you can just put 5+5 and have 10

Not sure exactly what you're trying to do but without the = sign Excel
doesn't know it's a formula. You could use 3 cells
A1 A2 A3
5 5 =A1+A2

now if you hit 5 enter 5, a3 will display 10. You will need to go to
tools options edit and set the cursor to move to the right on Enter.

HTH
gls858

Ruthki

Select from the Excel menu

Tools

Then select the Transition Tab

Click the check box for Transition Forumla Entry.

Ruthki
Ruthki's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24503
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=392254

gls858

Ruthki wrote:
Select from the Excel menu

Tools

Then select the Transition Tab

Click the check box for Transition Forumla Entry.

That's a new one for me. So many options so little time :-)

gls858

Bill Kuunders

furthermore

if you use the lotus transition you can also use the trick
5+5<F9<enter
and the result in the cell will be 10
not =5+5

--