Junior Member

Default Sorry if already here. Average HELP!!!

So I'm a restaurant manager and we track our server PPA's. which is a fancy thing for server check amounts. I want to track each server each week. Here's the thing, each server does not work everyday. So one server might work mon/wed/fri. So i need a formula that averages the amounts only when a value is imputed. But it needs to be already setup so when i put in the days averages it recomputes it again. and if a server works another day like sat it would then average 4 days instead of 3. Is ther anyway to do this?

thanks so much
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

This is a good question.

Set up a seven day table. Pick any starting day you like. Assign a
row or column for each server. Say Ellen's name is in A1 and the
weekly values are in A2 thru A8. In A9 enter:

=AVERAGE(A2:A8)

It is important, that in A2 thru A8, to leave the value blank rather
than zero for non-working-days. AVERAGE() will ignore blank values.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"tjcosmo" wrote:
in message ...

So I'm a restaurant manager and we track our server PPA's. which is a
fancy thing for server check amounts. I want to track each server each
week. Here's the thing, each server does not work everyday.

[....]
when i put in the days averages it recomputes it again. and if a
server works another day like sat it would then average 4 days instead
of 3. Is ther anyway to do this?

There might be nothing special for you to do. The AVERAGE function
automatically ignores empty cells and cells that contain text such as the
null string (""). So if you use columns B through H to track a week,
=AVERAGE(B2:H2) might do what you want.

If not, you need to specify more details. Better still, upload an example
Excel file to a file-sharing website, be sure the uploaded file is marked
shared/sharable, then post the URL (aka link; http://...) of the uploaded
file here. The following is a list of some free file-sharing websites; or
use your own.

Box.Net: http://www.box.net/files
Windows Live Skydrive: http://skydrive.live.com
MediaFi http://www.mediafire.com
FileFactory: http://www.filefactory.com
FileSavr: http://www.filesavr.com
FileDropper: http://www.filedropper.com
RapidSha http://www.rapidshare.com

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

tjcosmo,

Cell:
A1:

Type Employee Name

B1 through H1:

Type Sunday to Saturday

I1:

Type or Copy/Paste the following formula in the cell, then Press Enter

It will give the average based on the days worked.
=IF(COUNT($B2:$H2)=0,0,AVERAGE($B2:$H2))

J1:

If you want to have the daily average in a week even if the person doesn't
work every day. You can Type or Copy/Paste the following formula in the
cell, then Press Enter
=IF(COUNT($B2:$H2)=0,0,SUM($B2:$H2)/7)

You can use an "X" (w/o quotes) for days off, it should not alter the
results.

--
Rich/rerat
(RRR News) (message rule)

"tjcosmo" wrote in message

So I'm a restaurant manager and we track our server PPA's. which is a
fancy thing for server check amounts. I want to track each server each
week. Here's the thing, each server does not work everyday. So one
server might work mon/wed/fri. So i need a formula that averages the
amounts only when a value is imputed. But it needs to be already setup
so when i put in the days averages it recomputes it again. and if a
server works another day like sat it would then average 4 days instead
of 3. Is ther anyway to do this?

thanks so much

--
tjcosmo

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

tjcosmo,
I should have added for Cell "I1" and Cell "J1":

Click and Fill down the column with the formulas for every row of employee
names.