accountingfreak

Default Test your knowledge here.

Suppose there is a number is 100
Problem 1: The amount is decrease by 2%
Problem 2: The amount increase to 120

Conditions: 1. No hard-coding.
2. Use just ONE formula. This is to ensure that the
formula created is flexible. Can the formula increase the price by 6%?
Can the formula decrease 100 to 80?

Thanks. Your help is highly appreciated.

--
accountingfreak
accountingfreak's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25510

KL

=A1*(1+B1)

whe
A1 contains 100
B1 can contain 20% or -2%

Regards,
KL

"accountingfreak"
<accountingfreak.1slzac_1122098753.3825@excelfor um-nospam.com wrote in
message news:accountingfreak.1slzac_1122098753.3825@excelf orum-nospam.com...

Suppose there is a number is 100
Problem 1: The amount is decrease by 2%
Problem 2: The amount increase to 120

Conditions: 1. No hard-coding.
2. Use just ONE formula. This is to ensure that the
formula created is flexible. Can the formula increase the price by 6%?
Can the formula decrease 100 to 80?

Thanks. Your help is highly appreciated.

--
accountingfreak
accountingfreak's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=389554

accountingfreak

could u please verify your answer before posting? it seems wrong. and
you did not answer the Problem 2. Well, it is not as easy as you all
think. There is a trick somewhere but i can't identify it.

--
accountingfreak
accountingfreak's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25510
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=389554

Ken Wright

How exactly does the formula you were given not answer the question?

You said no hardcoding therefore you cannot put your 100 into your formula,
therefore you may as well make it whatever the result has to be, ie 100 or
120 etc. Formula then simply factors what is in A1 by what is in A2, and if
there is nothing in A2 then A1 stays as is. Put a positive % in A2 and it
increases by that, or make it negative and it decreases by that.

Before taking a shot at the poster, please be aware that just because you
cannot see the answer it does not necessarily mean that others can't. If
when you have worked through it properly, you believe it still does not meet
some criteria then please be very specific about WHAT criteria it does not
meet, and then give an example of what the formula produces compared with
what you would expect.

These forums are for like minded people to help each other out, so please
try and be courteous when it is obvious that someone else has taken time out
of their day to try and provide you with an answer, especially when to my
mind it would appear to answer it correctly.

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

"accountingfreak"
<accountingfreak.1sm7me_1122109513.7162@excelfor um-nospam.com wrote in
message news:accountingfreak.1sm7me_1122109513.7162@excelf orum-nospam.com...

could u please verify your answer before posting? it seems wrong. and
you did not answer the Problem 2. Well, it is not as easy as you all
think. There is a trick somewhere but i can't identify it.

--
accountingfreak
accountingfreak's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=389554

KL

could also you please:

check your question before replying?
check my answer before drawing conclusions
try and formulate what is wrong for you as, I guess, it may be different for
the rest of the world ;-)
at least say thank you if you know that word.

KL

"accountingfreak"
<accountingfreak.1sm7me_1122109513.7162@excelfor um-nospam.com wrote in
message news:accountingfreak.1sm7me_1122109513.7162@excelf orum-nospam.com...

could u please verify your answer before posting? it seems wrong. and
you did not answer the Problem 2. Well, it is not as easy as you all
think. There is a trick somewhere but i can't identify it.

--
accountingfreak
accountingfreak's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=389554

Bob Phillips

Maybe

=IF(B1<1,A1*(1+B1),A1+B1)

so it handles a percentage increase of less than 100% as per KLs post, but
if B1 1 then it just adds it.

As I sit back and wait to be vilified too <G

--

HTH

RP

"accountingfreak"
<accountingfreak.1slzac_1122098753.3825@excelfor um-nospam.com wrote in
message news:accountingfreak.1slzac_1122098753.3825@excelf orum-nospam.com...

Suppose there is a number is 100
Problem 1: The amount is decrease by 2%
Problem 2: The amount increase to 120

Conditions: 1. No hard-coding.
2. Use just ONE formula. This is to ensure that the
formula created is flexible. Can the formula increase the price by 6%?
Can the formula decrease 100 to 80?

Thanks. Your help is highly appreciated.

--
accountingfreak
accountingfreak's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=389554

accountingfreak

well if you do a calculation manually you can find out the answer so the
answer seems wrong. my apologise to KL! Wasn't know that you take it so
personally. I'm unaware of it.

--
accountingfreak
accountingfreak's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25510
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=389554

Mangus Pyke

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 03:42:38 -0500, accountingfreak wrote:
could u please verify your answer before posting? it seems wrong. and
you did not answer the Problem 2. Well, it is not as easy as you all
think. There is a trick somewhere but i can't identify it.

This just swayed me from posting.

MP-
--
"Learning is a behavior that results from consequences."
B.F. Skinner
Niek Otten

You're unbelievable! Please tell us what input values you used, what values
you calculated manually (and how) and what you got instead.
Just to be complete, give us your exact formula.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

Microsoft MVP - Excel

"accountingfreak"
<accountingfreak.1smoaf_1122131118.7717@excelfor um-nospam.com wrote in
message news:accountingfreak.1smoaf_1122131118.7717@excelf orum-nospam.com...

well if you do a calculation manually you can find out the answer so the
answer seems wrong. my apologise to KL! Wasn't know that you take it so
personally. I'm unaware of it.

--
accountingfreak
accountingfreak's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=389554

st24961

Please let us cool down and see what is the issue here. I do not have
any answers to the poster's request but seems like we all can learn
something. The solution/s might not work out but at least we know they
are helpful people around when we need help.Lets keep personal feelings
aside and work towards a common goal.

Thanks
Regards
ST (Singapore)

--
st24961
st24961's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20530

Kassie

Hi

While I have no problem assisting anybody, if I can, I have a serious
problem with people who have already found a solution to a problem, and who
then posts to gloat. This guy doe not have a problem, he has already solved
it. Most likely through a shot of good luck. He now wants to bask in his
glory. He will not give you sufficient details to solve his riddle, and no
matter what your answer is, he will ridicule you, as he has already done.

Rather spend time helping those guys and girls with real problems, and make
their day!
--
ve_2nd_at. Randburg, Gauteng, South Africa

"accountingfreak" wrote:

Suppose there is a number is 100
Problem 1: The amount is decrease by 2%
Problem 2: The amount increase to 120

Conditions: 1. No hard-coding.
2. Use just ONE formula. This is to ensure that the
formula created is flexible. Can the formula increase the price by 6%?
Can the formula decrease 100 to 80?

Thanks. Your help is highly appreciated.

--
accountingfreak
accountingfreak's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=389554

Amedee Van Gasse

accountingfreak shared this with us in microsoft.public.excel.newusers:

Suppose there is a number is 100
Problem 1: The amount is decrease by 2%
Problem 2: The amount increase to 120

Conditions: 1. No hard-coding.
2. Use just ONE formula. This is to ensure that the
formula created is flexible. Can the formula increase the price by 6%?
Can the formula decrease 100 to 80?

Thanks. Your help is highly appreciated.

I have a VBA question for you.

I have an object.
When the object is dimmed, it has 4 methods (or properties, if you
like).
When the object is set, it has 2 methods.
And when the object is set to Null, it has 3 methods.

What object class is used?

;-)

--
Amedee Van Gasse

Ken Wright

The solutions work fine and there are plenty of other posters that are far
more considerate/detailed with their responses.

Regards

"st24961" wrote in
message ...

Hi,