-   -   petty annoyance (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/35823-petty-annoyance.html)

Ralphael1

petty annoyance

When I sign on to the newsgroup the window opens to the last medssage
posted. I prefer to be at the top of the page. What have I missed???
Thanks,
Ralph, The OLD one

Bill Ridgeway

Click on <Sent at the top of the panel. This, as with the column headings,
will re-sort that column in the opposite direction.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"Ralphael1" wrote in message
oups.com...
When I sign on to the newsgroup the window opens to the last medssage
posted. I prefer to be at the top of the page. What have I missed???
Thanks,
Ralph, The OLD one

Gordon

"Ralphael1" wrote in message
oups.com...
When I sign on to the newsgroup the window opens to the last medssage
posted. I prefer to be at the top of the page. What have I missed???
Thanks,
Ralph, The OLD one

Try using a proper news reader instead of Google groups.

Anne Troy

Gordon: I use OE to read the newsgroups. Is it "proper"? When I click on a
newsgroup, if there are no recent posts in the window area that's displayed,
it'll sometimes scroll my window to a post that's days old. It sounds to me
like this is what Ralph is griping about, and it has nothing to do with him
viewing "newest" first as opposed to "oldest" first (sort order, which is
what Bill seems to be suggesting).

Anyway, I understood his question--I think, but don't have the answer.
Personally, I want to know what all these "Not Downloaded" posts are. I
can't find anything about it.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"Gordon" wrote in message
"Ralphael1" wrote in message
oups.com...
When I sign on to the newsgroup the window opens to the last medssage
posted. I prefer to be at the top of the page. What have I missed???
Thanks,
Ralph, The OLD one

Try using a proper news reader instead of Google groups.

Gordon

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
news:9f3ca$42dbbbe7$97c5108d$2431@allthenewsgroups .com...
Gordon: I use OE to read the newsgroups.

The OP's headers showed Google groups as the "reader"

Anne Troy

LOL! Doh!!
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"Gordon" wrote in message
"Anne Troy" wrote in message
news:9f3ca$42dbbbe7$97c5108d$2431@allthenewsgroups .com...
Gordon: I use OE to read the newsgroups.

The OP's headers showed Google groups as the "reader"

Ralphael1

Gordon wrote:
snip, snip
Try using a proper news reader instead of Google groups.

Thanks Gordon for the advice.
I am not happy with google newsgroup at all. AOL spoiled me.
Now where can I find a "proper news reader" that is CHEAP?

Thank you,
Ralphael, the OLD one

Gordon

"Ralphael1" wrote in message
oups.com...

Gordon wrote:
snip, snip
Try using a proper news reader instead of Google groups.

Thanks Gordon for the advice.
I am not happy with google newsgroup at all. AOL spoiled me.
Now where can I find a "proper news reader" that is CHEAP?

Outlook Express is not bad, comes free with windows. Thunderbird/Mozilla are
better, then you've got Free Agent, Xnews, Gravity, to name a few. All free!

Have a look he
http://www.newsreaders.com/win/clients.html

the idea is to try as many as possible, until you find one that suits your
type of newsreading.

HTH

Kassie

Maybe I'm just stupid, or live to far away from civilisation, but I just use
Internet explorer, and log onto
http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us, and then enjoy reading all
the posts
--
ve_2nd_at. Randburg, Gauteng, South Africa

"Gordon" wrote:

"Ralphael1" wrote in message
oups.com...

snip, snip

"Kassie" wrote in message
Maybe I'm just stupid, or live to far away from civilisation, but I just
use
Internet explorer, and log onto
http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us, and then enjoy reading
all
the posts

You'll find it MUCH MUCH better if you use a news reader - you've already
got one on your PC - it's called Outlook Express.

Kassie

Sounds like a lot of hassle to me. Then I have to beg my ISP for an NNTP
server name, and just now pay for that as well. Na, methinks it is easier to
browse this website at my leisure. I think it is less restrictive. But hey,

--

"Kassie" wrote in message
Sounds like a lot of hassle to me. Then I have to beg my ISP for an NNTP
server name, and just now pay for that as well.

Not for this news server you don't. It's free and you can access it from any
ISP.
Just use "msnews.microsoft.com" (without the quotes" as your news server.

Anne Troy

Gord: I just added that, and I see 8 messages all dated pre-April, 2005. So
I don't know how, but... that ain't workin'. I pay $6 per month through
http://allthenewsgroups.com because Verizon doesn't even have the Excel/Word
ones listed and they "don't support newsgroups".
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"Gordon" wrote in message
"Kassie" wrote in message
Sounds like a lot of hassle to me. Then I have to beg my ISP for an

NNTP
server name, and just now pay for that as well.

Not for this news server you don't. It's free and you can access it from

any
ISP.
Just use "msnews.microsoft.com" (without the quotes" as your news server.

Dave Peterson

There seem to be lots of newsgroups on:
news.verizon.net

And this site says Verizon offers 1000's of newsgroups...

http://netservices.verizon.net/porta...95c48&case=449

or
http://tinyurl.com/bm6e7

But I'd still connect directly to the microsoft servers for the
microsoft.public.* groups.

"Gordon" wrote in message
"Kassie" wrote in message
Sounds like a lot of hassle to me. Then I have to beg my ISP for an

NNTP
server name, and just now pay for that as well.

Not for this news server you don't. It's free and you can access it from

any
ISP.
Just use "msnews.microsoft.com" (without the quotes" as your news server.

--

Dave Peterson

Anne Troy

Right. Until you try to connect and half the MS newsgroups are missing, so
you call, and they say "Oh, we don't support that. We subscribe to
thousands...but we don't take requests or anything."
And I can't figure out how to get to news.verizon.net. If I put it in OE, it
goes nowhere. If I put it in IE, page cannot be displayed. Am I clueless, or
what? :)
Thanks for the help.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"Gordon" wrote in message
"Kassie" wrote in message
Sounds like a lot of hassle to me. Then I have to beg my ISP for an

NNTP
server name, and just now pay for that as well.

Not for this news server you don't. It's free and you can access it

from
any
ISP.
Just use "msnews.microsoft.com" (without the quotes" as your news

server.

--

Dave Peterson

Gordon

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
news:d2ce5$42ddea68$97c5108d$12368@allthenewsgroup s.com...
Right. Until you try to connect and half the MS newsgroups are missing,

Are you actually connecting to the news server "msnews.microsoft.com"? have
you added that server as a new News Account?

Anne Troy

Yep. I think so!
I click on Newsgroups. I paste msnews.microsoft.com, and when I get it, I
see what I said I saw, you see? :)
Thusly: http://officearticles.com/downloads/newsview.jpg

Thanks tons for the help!
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
news:7f61e$42ddf0fa$97c5108d$19731@allthenewsgroup s.com...
Yep. I think so!
I click on Newsgroups. I paste msnews.microsoft.com, and when I get it, I
see what I said I saw, you see? :)

I don't understand what you are doing. What you SHOULD be doing, is in OE,
go to Tools-Accounts-Add-News and follow the prompts there, using
msnews.microsoft.com in the News Server field.

Ralphael1

see what I said I saw, you see? :)
Thusly: http://officearticles.com/downloads/newsview.jpg

Thanks tons for the help!
*******************
~Anne Troy

Well Anne, you are smarter than I am...I can't even find the
newsgroups.
~Ralphael, the OLD one

Anne Troy

Got it, Gordon. Thanks a ton!! I didn't realize I had to create a different
account for it. Who knew? :) Yer a sweetie for sticking with me. Thanks
again.

*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

see what I said I saw, you see? :)

I don't understand what you are doing. What you SHOULD be doing, is in OE,
go to Tools-Accounts-Add-News and follow the prompts there, using
msnews.microsoft.com in the News Server field.

Anne Troy

Hi, Ralphael. Well, if you want to learn, I'll teach you! You can reach me
on Yahoo Instant Messenger as vbaexpresser but I'm sorry--I will not install
AIM for anybody. :)
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"Ralphael1" wrote in message
ups.com...

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
Got it, Gordon. Thanks a ton!! I didn't realize I had to create a

different
account for it. Who knew? :) Yer a sweetie for sticking with me. Thanks
again.

*******************
~Anne Troy

You're welcome! Enjoy!

Ralphael1

G'day Anne:
Thanx love but you are talking to the OLD one that failed the class in
computer stupid 1. Yahoo Instant Messanger? naw, I don't think so.
Many, many thnaks for the help offer.
Ralphael, the OLD

Sandy Mann

"Ralphael1" wrote in message
oups.com...
G'day Anne:
Thanx love but you are talking to the OLD one that failed the class in
computer stupid 1. Yahoo Instant Messanger? naw, I don't think so.
Many, many thnaks for the help offer.
Ralphael, the OLD

Ralphael,

From Chip Pearson's page on connecting directly to the ms server:

AOL uses a proprietary news protocol, so an AOL member cannot connect
directly to the MS server using AOL's proprietary newsreader. However, an
AOL member should be able to use an NNTP newsreader after establishing an
Internet connection via AOL Link.

I've never used AOL so I cannot help you there but perhaps someone who has
will offer to talk you through it - it is certainly well worth it.

--
Best wishes

Sandy

Replace@mailinator with @tiscali.co.uk

Amedee Van Gasse

Anne Troy shared this with us in microsoft.public.excel.newusers:

Gordon: I use OE to read the newsgroups. Is it "proper"?

No, OE is NOT a "proper" newsreader.
According to the GNKSA Evaluations (Good Net-Keeping Seal of Approval,
http://www.newsreaders.com/gnksa/gnksa-evaluations.html), Outlook
Express scores rather bad:

Non-passing software

The following software FAILS the standards set by the Good Net-Keeping
Seal of Approval (ordered by percentage of satisfied MUSTs as
indicated):

OE 4.71: 85%
OE 5.00: 77%
OE 5.50: 67%

Passing Software

The following software PASSES all MUSTs as required by the Good
Net-Keeping Seal of Approval (ordered by percentage of satisfied
SHOULDs as indicated):

* NewsHound 0.66.7 [100%] (Seal No.: 000015)
* Xnews 2.05.10 [100%] (Seal No.: 000012)
* AllNews 1.30 [93%] (Seal No.: 000009)
* Gnus 5.070044 (Pterodactyl Gnus v0.44) [85%] (Seal No.: 000011)
* Microplanet Gravity 2.10b3 [70%] (Seal No.: 000007)
* Noworyta News Reader 1.6 [67%] (Seal No.: 000021)
* Slrn 0.9.5.5 [67%] (Seal No.: 000013)
* Turnpike 5.01 [67%] (Seal No.: 000018)

These are the only "proper" newsreaders for the Windows platform.
Yes that means my current newsreader (Xananews) isn't a proper one.

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.5.7

Ken McLennan

G'Gday there People,

These are the only "proper" newsreaders for the Windows platform.
Yes that means my current newsreader (Xananews) isn't a proper one.

There's also "40tude Dialog" which I'm downloading as I type. It's
still in beta, but some of the comments I've read in Blogs, etc.
indicate that it's pretty damned good already. Might be worth a look.

Written to you from a garden variety Microplanet Gravity.

See ya
--
Ken McLennan
Qld, Australia