Old July 19th 05, 08:56 PM
Kassie

Sounds like a lot of hassle to me. Then I have to beg my ISP for an NNTP
server name, and just now pay for that as well. Na, methinks it is easier to
browse this website at my leisure. I think it is less restrictive. But hey,
as I said before :-)

--
ve_2nd_at. Randburg, Gauteng, South Africa

"Gordon" wrote:

"Kassie" wrote in message
Maybe I'm just stupid, or live to far away from civilisation, but I just
use
Internet explorer, and log onto
http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us, and then enjoy reading
all
the posts

You'll find it MUCH MUCH better if you use a news reader - you've already
got one on your PC - it's called Outlook Express.

Old July 19th 05, 09:22 PM
Gordon

"Kassie" wrote in message
Sounds like a lot of hassle to me. Then I have to beg my ISP for an NNTP
server name, and just now pay for that as well.

Not for this news server you don't. It's free and you can access it from any
ISP.
Just use "msnews.microsoft.com" (without the quotes" as your news server.

Old July 20th 05, 01:14 AM
Anne Troy

Gord: I just added that, and I see 8 messages all dated pre-April, 2005. So
I don't know how, but... that ain't workin'. I pay $6 per month through
http://allthenewsgroups.com because Verizon doesn't even have the Excel/Word
ones listed and they "don't support newsgroups".
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

Old July 20th 05, 06:17 AM

There seem to be lots of newsgroups on:
news.verizon.net

And this site says Verizon offers 1000's of newsgroups...

http://netservices.verizon.net/porta...95c48&case=449

or
http://tinyurl.com/bm6e7

But I'd still connect directly to the microsoft servers for the
microsoft.public.* groups.

Old July 20th 05, 07:12 AM
Anne Troy

Right. Until you try to connect and half the MS newsgroups are missing, so
you call, and they say "Oh, we don't support that. We subscribe to
thousands...but we don't take requests or anything."
And I can't figure out how to get to news.verizon.net. If I put it in OE, it
goes nowhere. If I put it in IE, page cannot be displayed. Am I clueless, or
what?
Thanks for the help.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

Old July 20th 05, 07:31 AM
Gordon

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
news:[email protected] s.com...
Right. Until you try to connect and half the MS newsgroups are missing,

Are you actually connecting to the news server "msnews.microsoft.com"? have
you added that server as a new News Account?

Old July 20th 05, 07:36 AM
Anne Troy

Yep. I think so!
I click on Newsgroups. I paste msnews.microsoft.com, and when I get it, I
see what I said I saw, you see?
Thusly: http://officearticles.com/downloads/newsview.jpg

Thanks tons for the help!
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"Gordon" wrote in message
news:[email protected] s.com...

Old July 20th 05, 08:21 AM
Gordon

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
news:[email protected] s.com...
Yep. I think so!
I click on Newsgroups. I paste msnews.microsoft.com, and when I get it, I
see what I said I saw, you see?

I don't understand what you are doing. What you SHOULD be doing, is in OE,
go to Tools-Accounts-Add-News and follow the prompts there, using
msnews.microsoft.com in the News Server field.

Old July 20th 05, 12:33 PM
Ralphael1

Anne Troy wrote:
Yep. I think so!
I click on Newsgroups. I paste msnews.microsoft.com, and when I get it, I
see what I said I saw, you see?
Thusly: http://officearticles.com/downloads/newsview.jpg

Thanks tons for the help!
*******************
~Anne Troy

Well Anne, you are smarter than I am...I can't even find the
newsgroups.
~Ralphael, the OLD one

Old July 20th 05, 02:06 PM
Anne Troy

Got it, Gordon. Thanks a ton!! I didn't realize I had to create a different
account for it. Who knew? Yer a sweetie for sticking with me. Thanks
again.

~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com