-   -   Merging text files with excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/34991-merging-text-files-excel.html)

SpaceMax

Merging text files with excel

Hello All.

How can I merge several text files with the same format into one Excel sheet
in one go ?
I am importing them singly but it would be much better to merge them
together before opening.

Many thanks for any help !

Dave Peterson

Maybe you can use some old DOS commands.

Shell to a command prompt and issue an old DOS command to concatenate the Text
files.

Windows start button|Run
(or flying windows r as a shortcut!)
win98: Command
WinXP/NT: CMD

Go to that folder:

C:
(to change to that drive)

cd\myfolder1\myfolder2\myfolder3
to change to that folder

copy *.txt All.Files
Ren All.Files All.Txt

(if you used All.Txt, then the copy command would try to include the total file
into itself--and you'd get an error. So we copy all the .txt files to .files
and
then just rename the .files to .txt)

Exit to quit the shell.

Then import all.txt into excel.