dfkelly42

Default Macro for single to multiple cols. Help!

Single col excell spreadsheet
example
(rows) all data in col A
1) john doe
2) nice guy
3) 1010 space street
4) Nasa Florida
5) (data separated by 1 row here)
6) Jane Smith
7) Nice girl
8) 1011 Space st
9) Nasa Florida
10)
etc...........

Wishing to populate each row 1-4 into A-D cols. repeating multiple
times into just the 4 cols A-D without spaces between the rows.
example.....

(col A) (B) (C) (D)
1)john doe/nice guy/1010 space street/Nasa Florida
2)Jane Smith/Nice girl/1011 Space st/Nasa Florida
3) etc.....

AND!!!

same macro but populating 5 cols from 5 rows, instead of 4.

Much appreciated for the help...

dfkelly42

--
dfkelly42
dfkelly42's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=12094

Anne Troy

You don't need a macro, necessarily. Try Vertical to Horizontal Addresses
at:

*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"dfkelly42" wrote in
message ...

[...]

dfkelly42

Anne, I went to the site and it seems to be what Im after, but the
instructions are just out of reach....
Any words of advice,
I cant get the copy to fill the series........
I filled the C-F cols just like the picture, 3 sets of the first three
names and addresses.
highlighted the new group, like displayed, right clicked the bottom
right corner and dragged to the bottom off the page.

Just get copies of the highlighted area...
where am I going wrong?

Don

--
dfkelly42
dfkelly42's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=12094
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=383737

Anne Troy

Okay, and you "filled the C-F cols" with formulas, right? And you don't have
your calculation turned to Manual, do you? When you do this with a large
file, it takes a while for all the addresses (formulas) to update. I did it
with 4000 records (12,000 rows), and it took a while for all the
calculations to update. Before it updates, it just looks like I copied the
first ones.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"dfkelly42" wrote
in message ...

Anne, I went to the site and it seems to be what Im after, but the
instructions are just out of reach....
Any words of advice,
I cant get the copy to fill the series........
I filled the C-F cols just like the picture, 3 sets of the first three
names and addresses.
highlighted the new group, like displayed, right clicked the bottom
right corner and dragged to the bottom off the page.

Just get copies of the highlighted area...
where am I going wrong?

Don

--
dfkelly42
dfkelly42's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=383737

dfkelly42

Okay, and you "filled the C-F cols" with "[u]*formulas",[/*U] right? And
you don't have your calculation turned to Manual, do you? When you do
this with a large file, it takes a while for all the addresses
(formulas) to update. I did it
with 4000 records (12,000 rows), and it took a while for all the
calculations to update. Before it updates, it just looks like I copied
the
first ones.

Formulas? - as in the actual names addresses and states in col C, E &F
... YES
Calculation turned to manual?? Dont understand...
1500 records...... i tried it again and am just waiting...

--
dfkelly42
dfkelly42's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=12094
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=383737

Anne Troy

NO. Formulas as in see the formula bar in this pic:
http://www.officearticles.com/excel/images/data_c2.jpg

You DO need to use formulas. You set up the formulas for the first 3 sets of
records. Then you select the cells as shown, and copy down. If you need to,
send the file to anne@ either of the websites below.
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com