-   -   Password Protection (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/32424-password-protection.html)

Floridagal

Password Protection

How do I prevent a workbook from being opened until a password is entered. I
have tried the ToolsProtectionProtect SheetProtect Workbook and Protect
and Share Workbook. But each time I save and close the workbook, I can open
it without entering a password.

TIA!

George Gee

Hi

File Save as ,
in the 'Save as' dialogue box, click on 'Tools'
Click on 'General Options', and enter a password.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

George Gee

*Floridagal* has posted this message:

How do I prevent a workbook from being opened until a password is
entered. I have tried the ToolsProtectionProtect SheetProtect
Workbook and Protect and Share Workbook. But each time I save and
close the workbook, I can open it without entering a password.

TIA!

Floridagal

Thanks George, that was exactly what I was looking for.

"George Gee" wrote:

Hi

File Save as ,
in the 'Save as' dialogue box, click on 'Tools'
Click on 'General Options', and enter a password.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

George Gee

*Floridagal* has posted this message:

How do I prevent a workbook from being opened until a password is
entered. I have tried the ToolsProtectionProtect SheetProtect
Workbook and Protect and Share Workbook. But each time I save and
close the workbook, I can open it without entering a password.

TIA!

George Gee

Hi Floridagal

Happy to help, thanks for the feedback!

"George Gee" wrote:

Hi

File Save as ,
in the 'Save as' dialogue box, click on 'Tools'
Click on 'General Options', and enter a password.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

George Gee

*Floridagal* has posted this message:

How do I prevent a workbook from being opened until a password is
entered. I have tried the ToolsProtectionProtect SheetProtect
Workbook and Protect and Share Workbook. But each time I save and
close the workbook, I can open it without entering a password.

TIA!

JE McGimpsey

Just be aware that it's pretty easy to crack:

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/fileandvbapwords.html

In article ,
"Floridagal" wrote:

Thanks George, that was exactly what I was looking for.

Bill Ridgeway

Beware! Passwords can be cracked VERY easily so should not be relied upon
as a security feature.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions