-   -   Formula help (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/27214-formula-help.html)

George Gee

Formula help

Hi all

In cell G7 I have a football score, (user input) in the form of (e.g.) 2 2
(note the space between the two numbers).

In G6 I want a formula that displays "Win" "Lose" or "Draw", dependant upon
the input sco

So if the leftmost number is greater than the rightmost number, "Win".

If the leftmost number is smaller than the rightmost number "Lose".

If the leftmost number is equal to the rightmost number "Draw".

Many thanks for your time.

--
George

Leo Heuser

Hi George

One way assuming one digit for either result:

=IF(LEFT(G7,1)RIGHT(G7,1),"Win",IF(LEFT(G7,1)<RIG HT(G7,1),"Lose","Draw"))

--
Best Regards
Leo Heuser

Followup to newsgroup only please.

"George Gee" skrev i en meddelelse
Hi all

In cell G7 I have a football score, (user input) in the form of (e.g.) 2 2
(note the space between the two numbers).

In G6 I want a formula that displays "Win" "Lose" or "Draw", dependant
upon
the input sco

So if the leftmost number is greater than the rightmost number, "Win".

If the leftmost number is smaller than the rightmost number "Lose".

If the leftmost number is equal to the rightmost number "Draw".

Many thanks for your time.

--
George

George Gee

Hi Leo

Many thanks for that, it works fine.
It would be a rare day indeed for a score of more than 9 in English league
football!

George
--

*Leo Heuser* has posted this message:

[...]

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback :-)

Should the day come, this formula can be used
regardless of the number of digits. The number
of spaces between the two results don't matter.

=IF(VALUE(LEFT(G7,FIND(" ",G7)))
VALUE(MID(G7,FIND(" ",G7),1000)),"Win",
IF(VALUE(LEFT(G7,FIND(" ",G7)))<
VALUE(MID(G7,FIND(" ",G7),1000)),"Lose","Draw")

Entered as one line.

LeoH

"George Gee" skrev i en meddelelse
Hi Leo

Many thanks for that, it works fine.
It would be a rare day indeed for a score of more than 9 in English league
football!

George

George Gee

Hi Leo

Have noted your update, many thanks once again.

--
George

*Leo Heuser* has posted this message:

Hi George

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback :-)

Should the day come, this formula can be used
regardless of the number of digits. The number
of spaces between the two results don't matter.

=IF(VALUE(LEFT(G7,FIND(" ",G7)))
VALUE(MID(G7,FIND(" ",G7),1000)),"Win",
IF(VALUE(LEFT(G7,FIND(" ",G7)))<
VALUE(MID(G7,FIND(" ",G7),1000)),"Lose","Draw")

Entered as one line.

LeoH

"George Gee" skrev i en meddelelse
Hi Leo

Many thanks for that, it works fine.
It would be a rare day indeed for a score of more than 9 in English
league football!

George

Leo Heuser

My pleasure :-)