-   -   How do I number sequentially omiting the headings in excel? (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/263820-how-do-i-number-sequentially-omiting-headings-excel.html)

Arthign

How do I number sequentially omiting the headings in excel?

Hi,

I know I can number sequentially by just entering 1 in the first row and
hitting ctrl+draging it down. But what if there are headings inbetween that I
want to omit.
Alos I want it to automatically update if i delete a row or add one.
Thanks
Arthi

Gord Dibben

How do I number sequentially omiting the headings in excel?

Post a small example of your layout.

Where are the headings located where you wish to omit numbers.

Do you want the numbers to pick up where they left off above the headings?

Like 1, 2, 3, 4 heading, heading, 5, 6, 7

Or 1, 2, 3, 4, heading, heading, 7, 8, 9

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 14 May 2010 12:10:01 -0700, Arthign
wrote:

Hi,

I know I can number sequentially by just entering 1 in the first row and
hitting ctrl+draging it down. But what if there are headings inbetween that I
want to omit.
Alos I want it to automatically update if i delete a row or add one.
Thanks
Arthi

Billy Liddel

How do I number sequentially omiting the headings in excel?

Providing that the numbering starts from row 1 use the ROW function.
=ROW()