Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Copy and Pasting Formulas are incrementing

Hi i am trying to paste formulas from one column to another, however when I
do a paste - special - formulas it seems in increment the cell references
with the formulas

e.g the correct formula would be A1

but when I paste formulas it comes up as B1

what is going on here?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"anickless" wrote in message
Hi i am trying to paste formulas from one column to another, however when
do a paste - special - formulas it seems in increment the cell
references
with the formulas

e.g the correct formula would be A1

but when I paste formulas it comes up as B1

what is going on here?

That's correct behaviour. if you want the formulae to stay EXACTLY the same
you need to put absolute references in the original.
I.e if your formula is A1*B1 and you need that to stay the same then change
it to $A$1*$B$1. If you only want A1 to stay then same then put $A$1*B1 and
the converse if you want B1 to be unchanged.
Hope that's clear as mud!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Your original formula needs to have an absolute reference to stop it changing
as you paste into another column

i.e. $A$1 instead of just A1

"anickless" wrote:

Hi i am trying to paste formulas from one column to another, however when I
do a paste - special - formulas it seems in increment the cell references
with the formulas

e.g the correct formula would be A1

but when I paste formulas it comes up as B1

what is going on here?

Member

Default Here comes the money! use the $ sign.

Hello!

If you want the Column not to move you just put the dollar sign in front of the letter, and another dollar sign after the number if you don't want the row to move as well when copy/pasting formulas.

For example:

A$1$

in this case, both the row and the column will stay the same when you copy paste the formula.

A$1

in this case, the column will stay the same, but the row will change when you copy paste the formula.

A1$

in this case, the row will stay the same, but the column will change when you copy paste the formula.

For more tips in Excel and financial modeling in general, you can go here. Hope this helps!