-   -   Sorting tables on protected worksheets (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/261200-sorting-tables-protected-worksheets.html)

Blue Max

Sorting tables on protected worksheets

How do we configure our worksheet so that we can turn protection ON, but
still enable the table filter buttons in order to sort columns in a table?

No matter what settings we select for protection, including the sort and
auto-filter options, we cannot sort tables on a protected sheet. What is
the secret to allowing table sorts on a protected sheet?

Gord Dibben

Sorting tables on protected worksheets

Generally one has code to unprotect, code to do the sort, then re-protect.

By "tables" do you a real Table created by InsertTable?

I can provide code that turns off protection when you click inside a Table.

Click outside the Table and protection goes back on.

Is this something you could work with?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 14:22:00 -0600, "Blue Max" wrote:

How do we configure our worksheet so that we can turn protection ON, but
still enable the table filter buttons in order to sort columns in a table?

No matter what settings we select for protection, including the sort and
auto-filter options, we cannot sort tables on a protected sheet. What is
the secret to allowing table sorts on a protected sheet?

JLatham

Sorting tables on protected worksheets

If Gord's suggestion and offer of assistance isn't what you need, then things
get a little flakey for you: In order to sort on a protected sheet, all of
the cells that may potentially be involved in the sort must be unlocked.
Quite often this defeats at least part of the purpose of protecting the sheet
in the first place. As Gord said, the typical way to handle this enigma is
via VBA code that unprotects the sheet, does the sort and then puts the sheet
back into protected mode.

"Blue Max" wrote:

How do we configure our worksheet so that we can turn protection ON, but
still enable the table filter buttons in order to sort columns in a table?

No matter what settings we select for protection, including the sort and
auto-filter options, we cannot sort tables on a protected sheet. What is
the secret to allowing table sorts on a protected sheet?

.

ozgrid.com

Sorting tables on protected worksheets

Record a macro for your sort, then see this page;
http://www.ozgrid.com/VBA/excel-macr...cted-sheet.htm

The UserInterfaceOnly is my preference in case the Macro bugs out leaving
your Worksheet unprotected.

--
Regards
Dave Hawley
"Blue Max" wrote in message
How do we configure our worksheet so that we can turn protection ON, but
still enable the table filter buttons in order to sort columns in a table?

No matter what settings we select for protection, including the sort and
auto-filter options, we cannot sort tables on a protected sheet. What is
the secret to allowing table sorts on a protected sheet?

Blue Max

Sorting tables on protected worksheets

Thank you, Dave, some interesting features. I appreciate your reply and
will take a look at this option.

Thanks,

Richard