-   -   Formulas (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/258193-formulas.html)

Cpirt

Formulas

How do I create a formula that would alow me to select a value in one cell
and subtract it from a value I enter in another cell.

IE a product with 3 versions cost me 1.00, 2.00 or 3.00 depending on the
version

I want to create a forumla that alows me to select one of the build costs
then enter a selling price in another cell and the 3rd cell would subtract
the value of the build cost from the sales price and give me my margin.

Russell Dawson[_2_]

Formulas

If your build cost is in A1, your sell price is in B1 and your profit margin
is in C1

In C1 input

=(b1-a1)

Russell Dawson
Excel Student

Please hit "Yes" if this post was helpful.

"Cpirt" wrote:

How do I create a formula that would alow me to select a value in one cell
and subtract it from a value I enter in another cell.

IE a product with 3 versions cost me 1.00, 2.00 or 3.00 depending on the
version

I want to create a forumla that alows me to select one of the build costs
then enter a selling price in another cell and the 3rd cell would subtract
the value of the build cost from the sales price and give me my margin.

Roger Govier[_8_]

Formulas

Hi

On sheet2 set up a list with 1,2 and 3 in A1:A3 to represent your
version numbers.
In B1:B3 enter your costs e.g. 10, 15 and 20

On Sheet1 in A1 enter your sale price.
In B1 enter the Version number
in C1
=If(B1="","",A1-Vlookup(B1,Sheet2!A:B,2,0))

--
Regards
Roger Govier

Cpirt wrote:
How do I create a formula that would alow me to select a value in one cell
and subtract it from a value I enter in another cell.

IE a product with 3 versions cost me 1.00, 2.00 or 3.00 depending on the
version

I want to create a forumla that alows me to select one of the build costs
then enter a selling price in another cell and the 3rd cell would subtract
the value of the build cost from the sales price and give me my margin.

Wilbur Chua

Data Validation + Formula

Hello!

You can go to data, then validation. From there you can choose allow list, so you can have a drop down list. You have to put your data inputs somewhere to do the drop down list, presented as a table. A drop down list will allow you to select a value from a table of values, depending on what you choose.

Next, you just have to place a value you want to deduct from your drop down list on a any random cell. For this example, we can say it as A1. Then you can build a formula on another cell, where dropdown list - A1 is the formula on another random cell B1.

Anyway for more tips on excel and financial models, you can check the page out. Hope this helps.