-   -   Functions (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/257231-functions.html)

janey

Functions

Hi, I am new to Excel 2007 and have done all the 'training' offered on the
Microsoft website.

I am now interested in learning about the different functions. I have been
reading the posts on here, especially the ones asking about formulas.

As I don't find the Excel Help files very easy to understand, can anyone
recommend a website which explains things clearly, like "$" "!", etc.

Thanks.

Russell Dawson[_2_]

Functions

Try this for starters

Russell Dawson
Excel Student

Please hit "Yes" if this post was helpful.

"janey" wrote:

Hi, I am new to Excel 2007 and have done all the 'training' offered on the
Microsoft website.

I am now interested in learning about the different functions. I have been
reading the posts on here, especially the ones asking about formulas.

As I don't find the Excel Help files very easy to understand, can anyone
recommend a website which explains things clearly, like "$" "!", etc.

Thanks.

Russell Dawson[_2_]

Functions

Sorry my mistake - you've done that already.

--

"janey" wrote:

Hi, I am new to Excel 2007 and have done all the 'training' offered on the
Microsoft website.

I am now interested in learning about the different functions. I have been
reading the posts on here, especially the ones asking about formulas.

As I don't find the Excel Help files very easy to understand, can anyone
recommend a website which explains things clearly, like "$" "!", etc.

Thanks.

John[_22_]

Functions

Hi Janey
Try this link
http://tinyurl.com/yen3xdn
This link will bring you to a Function Dictionary that you can download.
http://www.xlfdic.com/
It as all the XL functions with example and explanation.
HTH
John
"janey" wrote in message
Hi, I am new to Excel 2007 and have done all the 'training' offered on the
Microsoft website.

I am now interested in learning about the different functions. I have been
reading the posts on here, especially the ones asking about formulas.

As I don't find the Excel Help files very easy to understand, can anyone
recommend a website which explains things clearly, like "$" "!", etc.

Thanks.

Bernard Liengme[_2_]

Functions

The use of ! is explained at
Basicall it is used when you are referencing another sheet and denotes the
end of the sheet name as in
='Jan Sales'!A1 to refer to A1 on the sheet names Jan Sales.
Google: excel reference another sheet

The $ is used to make either or both column or row in a reference absolute
See http://www.cpearson.com/excel/relative.aspx
You could Google: excel absolute reference, but Chip does a complete
explanation at the above site.

Have you though of the old fashioned way of learning - as book such as
'Excel for Dummies' by John Walkenbach, one of the world premier Excel
authors. It is so much easier to flip a book, make margin notes, turn down
corners, use index, etc.

Most of us have this book so it will be easy for you to ask questions here
if anything is unclear - tell us the page number and what confuses you.

best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP