-   -   Count occurences over range if a certain criteria met (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/251623-count-occurences-over-range-if-certain-criteria-met.html)

Richhall[_2_]

Count occurences over range if a certain criteria met

Hi

I have a named range, called Servers (B2:I50). Within this range I
want to count how many entries begin with New, so figure I need to use
Left somehow, but am not sure how I can use this in a single cell with
some countif/sumproduct function to count them all. Can anyone help
please?

B C

New1 Server C
Server A new3
Server B Server E
Server C Server F
New2 Server G
Server B Server D
Server A New 4

So this would return 4.

Cheers

Rich

Bill Kuunders

Count occurences over range if a certain criteria met

=COUNTIF(B2:I50,"new*")

note the * after new
Greetings from New Zealand

"Richhall" wrote in message
Hi

I have a named range, called Servers (B2:I50). Within this range I
want to count how many entries begin with New, so figure I need to use
Left somehow, but am not sure how I can use this in a single cell with
some countif/sumproduct function to count them all. Can anyone help
please?

B C

New1 Server C
Server A new3
Server B Server E
Server C Server F
New2 Server G
Server B Server D
Server A New 4

So this would return 4.

Cheers

Rich

Ms-Exl-Learner

Count occurences over range if a certain criteria met

=COUNTIF(B:C,"NEW*")

--------------------
(Ms-Exl-Learner)
--------------------

"Richhall" wrote:

Hi

I have a named range, called Servers (B2:I50). Within this range I
want to count how many entries begin with New, so figure I need to use
Left somehow, but am not sure how I can use this in a single cell with
some countif/sumproduct function to count them all. Can anyone help
please?

B C

New1 Server C
Server A new3
Server B Server E
Server C Server F
New2 Server G
Server B Server D
Server A New 4

So this would return 4.

Cheers

Rich
.

Richhall[_2_]

Count occurences over range if a certain criteria met

Excellent thank you, how do I count Unique entries please? Request has
moved on a notch!

i.e

Server A New1
New 1 New 2
Server B new 3
new 2 new 1

Would return 3.

Thank you

Rich

Ms-Exl-Learner

Count occurences over range if a certain criteria met

Assume that your data is starts From A1 cell and end with B4 cell.

A Col B Col
Row 1 Server A New1
Row 2 New 1 New 2
Row 3 Server B new 3
Row 4 new 2 new 1

Copy the below formula and place the cursor in any cell other than A1 to B4
cell and press F2 and give Cntrl+V and Press Cntrl+Shift+Enter since it is an
array formula.
=SUM(ISNUMBER(FIND("New",A1:B10))+0)

After pressing Cntrl+Shift+Enter the formula will be covered with Curly
Braces like the below in the Formulabar.

{=SUM(ISNUMBER(FIND("New",A1:B10))+0)}

Dont type the Curly Braces Manually.

--------------------
(Ms-Exl-Learner)
--------------------

"Richhall" wrote:

Excellent thank you, how do I count Unique entries please? Request has
moved on a notch!

i.e

Server A New1
New 1 New 2
Server B new 3
new 2 new 1

Would return 3.

Thank you

Rich
.

Richhall[_2_]

Count occurences over range if a certain criteria met

thank you, and Happy Chistmas.

Ms-Exl-Learner

Count occurences over range if a certain criteria met

Thank you and you are welcome

(Ms-Exl-Learner)