-   -   How do you sort words in Excel by the number of letters in a word (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/24504-how-do-you-sort-words-excel-number-letters-word.html)

Kinger

How do you sort words in Excel by the number of letters in a word

I have a list of 5,000 words that I need sort by the number of letters in the
word for my students is this possible to do? The words range from 1 letter
to 9 letters in a word.

David McRitchie

with the use of a helper column
=LEN(A1)

if you do not want to count spaces
=LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ",""))
---
HTH,

"Kinger" wrote in message ...
I have a list of 5,000 words that I need sort by the number of letters in the
word for my students is this possible to do? The words range from 1 letter
to 9 letters in a word.

JE McGimpsey

in another column (say, column B) enter:

B1: =LEN(A1)

and copy down as far as necessary.

Sort columns A:B using column B as the sort key.