-   -   Running Balance (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/241468-running-balance.html)

jenhunley

Running Balance

i am trying to set up a running balance for payroll I have charge in column c
and i want to keep a running total in column d how do i get it to add up and
where do i put the formula?

Luke M

Running Balance

Take a look at the SUM function in help file. Assuming your data is in column F
=SUM(F:F)

If you're doing credits in F, debits in G, your formula would be:
=SUM(F:F)-SUM(G:G)

you can put these formula anywhere EXCEPT for within column(s) F or G since
that would create a circular reference.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"jenhunley" wrote:

i am trying to set up a running balance for payroll I have charge in column c
and i want to keep a running total in column d how do i get it to add up and
where do i put the formula?

Gord Dibben

Running Balance

In D1 enter

=IF(C1="","",C1)

In D2 enter

=IF(C2="","",C2+D1) copy down as far as you want.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP