-   -   How do I display the RESULT of a formula (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/23814-how-do-i-display-result-formula.html)

Poor microsoft user

How do I display the RESULT of a formula

I enter "=1+1" in a cell. Instead of displaying 2, what is displayed is
"=1+1" (without the quotes). I go into microsoft help, do a search on
"display formla", it has a section "display or hide formulas", it has "switch
between displaying formulas and their values on a worksheet". I click that
and it says:
Press CTRL + (grave value)

I have no idea what "grave value" means. I've already wasted an hour on this.

HELP!!!!

Hi
It may be that the cell was formatted as text before you entered the
formula. Format it as General and re-enter the formula. The grave accent is
` which is to the left of 1 on my keyboard.

--
Andy.

"Poor microsoft user" <Poor microsoft wrote
in message ...
I enter "=1+1" in a cell. Instead of displaying 2, what is displayed is
"=1+1" (without the quotes). I go into microsoft help, do a search on
"display formla", it has a section "display or hide formulas", it has
"switch
between displaying formulas and their values on a worksheet". I click
that
and it says:
Press CTRL + (grave value)

I have no idea what "grave value" means. I've already wasted an hour on
this.

HELP!!!!

Poor microsoft user

Thank you Andy! I changed the formatting of the cell, it didn't help.
However, after I changed the formatting of the cell, I RE-ENTERED the
formula, and then it worked. I tried entering CNTL (grave symbol), it didn't
help. I spent 45 minutes reading microsoft "help", and found nothing about
the goofy way formatting cells as text before entering a formula will cause
the formula to not function.

Thanks again!

"Andy B" wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the feedback! (I did put that you needed to re-enter the formula)