-   -   Creating a pass of fail condition (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/235910-creating-pass-fail-condition.html)

jhumphreys

Creating a pass of fail condition

Hi there
I need to use a sum function that only happens if a certain condition
exist, this condition being that every number in a column has to be over
a certain level, here is the scenario:

Students have to take a series of 5 parts of an examination tests, each
part is assessed and a score awarded, the scores for all 5 are summed
and an overall mark awarded for their performance. The condition is
though that they HAVE to have acheived a pass in each test, If they fail
in at least one text, it doesn't sum or just returns a zero result.

Anyone suggest how to do this?

Thanks
JH

--
jhumphreys
jhumphreys's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=470

AltaEgo

Creating a pass of fail condition

How do you assess pass or fail for each?
If you do it by number:

=IF(COUNTIF(A1:A5,"74")=5,SUM(A1:A5),0)

requires each number in A1:A5 be greater than 74 or it returns 0.

If you use the word 'pass' somewhe

=IF(COUNTIF(B1:B5,"pass")=5,SUM(A1:A5),0)

Where B1:B5 contains 'pass' for a pass and anything else for "still
developing" - you can't fail anyone these days!

--
Steve

"jhumphreys" wrote in message

[...]

Simon Lloyd[_293_]

jhumphreys;404767 Wrote:
Hi there
I need to use a sum function that only happens if a certain condition
exist, this condition being that every number in a column has to be over
a certain level, here is the scenario:

Students have to take a series of 5 parts of an examination tests, each
part is assessed and a score awarded, the scores for all 5 are summed
and an overall mark awarded for their performance. The condition is
though that they HAVE to have acheived a pass in each test, If they fail
in at least one text, it doesn't sum or just returns a zero result.

Anyone suggest how to do this?

Thanks
JHHi and welcome to the code cage!, supplying a workbook would be much

better as we can help you directly with your particular structure,
however, attached is a sample of how to use sumproduct, take a look at
it and post back any questions or queries :)

|Filename: Sumproduct example.xls |
|Download: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/attachment.php?attachmentid=172|

Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=112852

Stefi

Creating a pass of fail condition

=IF(COUNTBLANK(A1:A5)0,0,SUM(A1:A5))
Regards,
Stefi

jhumphreys ezt *rta:

[...]

Lars-ke Aspelin[_2_]

Creating a pass of fail condition

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 08:24:58 +0100, jhumphreys
wrote:

Hi there
I need to use a sum function that only happens if a certain condition
exist, this condition being that every number in a column has to be over
a certain level, here is the scenario:

Students have to take a series of 5 parts of an examination tests, each
part is assessed and a score awarded, the scores for all 5 are summed
and an overall mark awarded for their performance. The condition is
though that they HAVE to have acheived a pass in each test, If they fail
in at least one text, it doesn't sum or just returns a zero result.

Anyone suggest how to do this?

Thanks
JH

If your scores are in cells A1 to A5 and your levels that the scores
have to be over are in cells B1 to B5, then try the following formula:

=AND(A1:A5B1:B5)*SUM(A1:A5)

Note: This is an array formula that has to be confirmed with
CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER rather than just ENTER.

If the limits are the same for each test you can use

=AND(A1:A5B1)*SUM(A1:A5)

instead. The common limit for all tests is put in B1 (or directly into
the formula).

Hope this helps / Lars-ke

jhumphreys[_2_]

Creating a pass of fail condition

Thanks to everyone for their contributions,the final product when
devised will not be exactly as the scenario depicted, but with all these
possible solutions it gives me a greater range of options than I
expected to find. Appreciate the help.
Rgds JH

--
jhumphreys
jhumphreys's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=470
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=112852

Simon Lloyd[_295_]

jhumphreys;405776 Wrote:
Thanks to everyone for their contributions,the final product when
devised will not be exactly as the scenario depicted, but with all these
possible solutions it gives me a greater range of options than I
expected to find. Appreciate the help.
Rgds JH

Glad we could be of help!

--