-   -   Count function (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/234724-count-function.html)

Count function

I have in Several Columns a list of Customer Names and for each column I
would like to do a Count of how many in each column but when I do

=Count(B2:B33)

it returns a 0 and should return 4

Does a Count not work on text?

Thanks!

Eduardo

Count function

Hi,

=Counta(B2:B33)

if this helps please click yes, thanks

"H" wrote:

I have in Several Columns a list of Customer Names and for each column I
would like to do a Count of how many in each column but when I do

=Count(B2:B33)

it returns a 0 and should return 4

Does a Count not work on text?

Thanks!

Count function

perfect :) Thank you

"H" wrote:

I have in Several Columns a list of Customer Names and for each column I
would like to do a Count of how many in each column but when I do

=Count(B2:B33)

it returns a 0 and should return 4

Does a Count not work on text?

Thanks!

Gord Dibben

Count function

COUNT works only on numbers.

=COUNTA(range) will count all cells...........text or numeric

If you had a mix of numeric and text cells in the range

=COUNTA(B2:B33)-COUNT(B2:B33) would return only text cells.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 09:33:01 -0700, H wrote:

I have in Several Columns a list of Customer Names and for each column I
would like to do a Count of how many in each column but when I do

=Count(B2:B33)

it returns a 0 and should return 4

Does a Count not work on text?

Thanks!

Shane Devenshire[_2_]

Count function

Hi,

You can also use

COUNTIF(B1:B20,"<")

for all non-empty cells

COUNTIF(B1:B20,"*")

for all text entries (excluding numbers)

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire