-   -   Ice melt model in Excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/233155-ice-melt-model-excel.html)

thehigh_23

Ice melt model in Excel

Hi
For a project I am doing university I need to produce a basic ice melt model. I have got hourly temperature data for a whole year from a certain location and area data from a glacier I am looking at, which has been broken down to several elevation bands each containing the area of ice present in that band.
Basically I need the model first to calculate the sum of postive degrees for each day of the year (so this would add together all the temperature data above 0 for each day). This would leave me with 365 postive degree day factors (DDF).

Each of these DDF's then need to be multiplied by a Meltfactor (say 0.06) and then multiplied by the area of a selceted elevation band
(DDF x 0.06) x Area

I am still a bit of a novice when it comes to all things excel so Im struggling a bit with this one. Its been suggested that I should use VBA but to be honest i dont know where to start. Any useful tips etc would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Ryan

Luke M

Ice melt model in Excel

From the information you've given so far, I see no need to use VBA. Assuming
your temperatures are in column B, your DDF formula is
=SUMIF(B:B,"0")
You can then multiply this by your metlfactor and area (let's say they are
in cells C2 and D2 respectively)
=SUMIF(B:B,"0")*C2*D2
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"thehigh_23" wrote:

[...]

Pecoflyer[_351_]

Ice melt model in Excel

Hi,
supposing temp of deg is not included and your data for a given day is
in cells A1 to A24, follwoing wll give the sum of daily positive temps
:
=sumif(a1:a24,"0",a1:a24)
You ca then multiply this outcome with the meltfactor and area

thehigh_23;373222 Wrote:
[...]

Cheers -
Pecoflyer's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=14
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=104466

Shane Devenshire[_2_]

Ice melt model in Excel

Hi Pecoflyer,

The third argument of SUMIF is optional, if the 1st and 3rd ranges are the
same you can ignore the 3rd argument.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

thehigh_23;373222 Wrote:
[...]

Pecoflyer[_353_]

Ice melt model in Excel

Thx for the reminder Shane

thehigh_23;373222 Wrote:
[...]

Pecoflyer's Profile: 'The Code Cage Forums - View Profile: Pecoflyer'

(http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/me...pecoflyer.html)
View this thread: 'Ice melt model in Excel - The Code Cage Forums'

(http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=104466)

--
Pecoflyer

Cheers -
Pecoflyer's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=14
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=104466

thehigh_23

Hi Guys

Thanks for your help so far, much appreciated. The formula works a treat. However the only problem i have is with that formula i would have to calculate the sum of positive degrees for each day individually (because I need 365 indvidual positive degree sums) which could take some time, and i may have to repeat the process for more years later on.
So with the =SUMIF(F1:F24,"0",F1:F24) formula when i drag the result down the next box changes to =SUMIF(F2:F25,"0",F2:F25)
Is there a way of telling excel to jump to next set of 24 hours when you drag the result down e.g the box underneath would contain =SUMIF(F25:F48,''0'',F25:48) and so on?

Thanks again
Ryan

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pecoflyer[_353_] (Post 842804)

thehigh_23;373222 Wrote:
[...]

Roger Govier[_3_]

Ice melt model in Excel

Hi Ryan