Old June 4th 09, 01:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default How to calculate frequency of lottery numbers?

Are you kidding? She will need me to tell her what to buy!
http://www.airstreamcomm.net/~mike/lmao.gif

Well, let's not start counting my money before I win it. The PowerBall
drawing is tonight, and I already bought a few tickets with numbers based on
my Excel strategy.

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Then, she won't need you.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Xray_Man" wrote in message
news
Absolutely! My wife will get HALF of my winnings!

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Don't forget to share.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Xray_Man" wrote in message
success!!!!! I now have the frequency spectrum chart that I was
looking
for!
Here's how I did it.... I downloaded the previous 100 PowerBall games
from
the PowerBall web site. I plugged all the white ball drawings into the
following arrays: The first number of the 5 drawn balls went into
array
A1:A100, then second number went into B1:B100, etc. I then manually
entered
the numbers 1 through 59 (the range of numbers for the white balls)
into
array K1:K59. I then selected a blank array M1:M59 which will hold the
results of the calculation. I then executed the Frequency function:
-Frequency(A1:E100,K1:K59). I then plotted the results using one of the
Excel
bar chart functions. Now I'm on the road to RICHES!!!! LOL

Many thanks to everyone who contributed.

Mike

"Xray_Man" wrote:

Thanks again, Steve! I'll give that a try. Because I'm new to Excel,
it
may
be a bit of a struggle, but it's a program that I've been wanting to
learn
for quite some time, and this seems like a good practice project that
will
get my feet wet!

Later....

Mike

"AltaEgo" wrote:

OK, I understand the problem. My view is that charting is overly
complex.
However, this does not mean you cannot see the result graphically.
An
alternatives to charting:

1) To the right of you raw data, create an array that counts the
number
of
times each number appears each week (i.e. so it shows 1 or 0).
2) Set the spreadsheet to not show zero values
3) Conditional format the area to highlight cells with a value = 1

How to:

Set up you spreadsheet so it has a single row above your data

Set up your numbers 1-59 across row 1 of the spreadsheet. Starting
at
column
K1, enter 1, at L1, enter 2, etc. up to BQ which will have the value
59.

In K2, enter the formula "=COUNTIF($A2:$E2,K$1)

Copy this so it appears in all cells from K2 to BQ101.

Instructions below relate to Excel 2003:

To suppress zero values
A) Select Menu 'Tools', Command 'Options', Tab 'View'
B) Under 'Window options' uncheck 'Zero values'

XL2007
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ex...CH100793441033

To conditionally format
A) Select the whole range of your counts (K2 to BQ101)
B) Select Menu 'Format', Command 'Conditional formatting...'
C) Leave the first drop-down set to 'Cell value is'
D) Change the second drop-down to 'equal to'
E) In the next (blank) dialogue box type 1
F) Click the [Format...] button and choose your format colour from
the
'patterns' tab.
G) Click [OK] twice to see the result.

XL2007
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ex...CH100648451033

--
Steve

"Xray_Man" wrote in message
Okay, AltaEgo, I'm still having a problem making it work. Maybe if
explain
what I want to do a little differently, it would help. I am
looking
at the
last 100 PowerBall games, and I want to calculate how often the
numbers 1
through 59 have shown up in those 100 games. There are 5 white
balls
drawn
in
each game, and each ball can have a value between 1 and 59. So, if
say
number
23 popped up 31 times over the last 100 games, I want to some how
visualize
it. That's why I thought the Frequency function would be the right
function
to use. I downloaded the last 100 games into arrays A1 through
E100,
where
A1
through A100 represents the first of 5 balls drawn, then B1
through
B100
represents the second of 5 balls drawn, etc. I used K1 to K59
just
have
an array of numbers from 1 to 59. Got me so far? Now, what I
want
to do
is
to some how end up with either an array of frequencies or some
sort
of
histogram (like a bar chart) to visually display the frequencies
as
heights
of the bars in the bargraph. Then I could play the numbers with
the
highest
frequencies from the last 100 games. I realize that this scheme
probably
won't make me a zillionairre, but it might give me a slight (and I
mean
VERY
slight) edge over letting the computer give me a random pick. Any
input
would be much appreciated. THANKS again...

"AltaEgo" wrote:

Unless I misunderstand the question, you seem to be seeking a
count
of
the
number of times each number appears in the range A1:E100. If so,
in
L1
enter
the formula:

=COUNTIF($A$1:$E$100,K1)

Copy the formula down to K59.

We all know whoever runs the lottery takes away the biggest prize
but
hope
springs eternal.
--
Steve

"Xray_Man" wrote in message
I'm new to Excel, so please explain things to this newbie in
non-technical
terms as much as possible! I have downloaded the array of
previous
week's
winning lottery numbers, and I want Excel to create a number
frequency
chart
for me. The numbers are 1 to 59. I want to calculate a
histogram
of the
frequencies of each number from 1 to 59. So far, I set up Excel
so
that
the
results of the previous lottery games are in 5 collumns.
A1:A100,B1:B100,C1:C100,D1100,E1:E100. I then entered the
numbers 1
through
59 into K1:K59. I tried to use the Frequency function, which
sort
of
seems
calculate the frequencies as expected, but I don't know where
find
the
resulting array of frequencies. I hope what I just said didn't
sound
too
silly, but my problem is that I don't know how to complete the
job
so
that
can some how view the array of frequencies in some easy to view
form,
such
as
a histogram. Any help would be most appreciated (and I hope it
makes
me
rich!! LOL)

Old June 4th 09, 01:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Are you kidding? She will need me to tell her what to buy!
http://www.airstreamcomm.net/~mike/lmao.gif

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Then, she won't need you.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Xray_Man" wrote in message
news
Absolutely! My wife will get HALF of my winnings!

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Don't forget to share.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

Old June 4th 09, 01:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

The Excel frequency function is designed to be used to count the number of
times something falls within a range. See
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ex...CH062528311033

In what you are attempting, Countif() should suffice. Having said that, the
way you used Frequency() will work and gives you flexibility to count the
numbers falling within ranges. To illustrate, using you existing data and
formula:

1) enter the numbers 0,10,20,30,40,50 in the range K1 to K6 (your bin
numbers)
2) clear your other numbers in K7 to K59 (no need to adjust your formula)

If you entered your array formula Frequency(A1:E100,K1:K59) correctly (using
Ctrl/Alt/Delete), you should now see a count of numbers as they fall between
the entered bin numbers (and a figure for the rest).

--
Steve

"AltaEgo" wrote:

[...]

Okay, AltaEgo, I'm still having a problem making it work. Maybe if I

"Xray_Man" wrote in message
[...]
calculate the frequencies as expected, but I don't know where to

Old June 4th 09, 03:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Steve - I only used Frequency because it "sounded" like the right function
for the job, and I eventually made it work as such. But as you pointed out,
there are more than one way to skin a cat! I am just now finding out how
versatile and useful Excel is. I've known about it for many years, but until
now I never had the desire or the requirement to use it. Now I have one more
excellent tool to add to my tool box! Thanks again for your input...

Mike