Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
bob bob is offline

Default hourly average help

I need help in trying to set up a work sheet that will keep track of an
average. I also need to know what I have to maintain to get the average I
am looking for. Example: I need to average .075 over a 24 hour period, lets
say that I have 12 hours of data, i need to know what I have to average the
remaining hours to get my .075. I enter the hourly numbers myself.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Bob:

There is one function AVERAGE(B2:B13) and this will give the average of the
numbers.

The other method is to use SUM(B2:B13)/12 assuming the data is in B2:B13
and the time in A2:A13.

--
Hope this helps
Martin Fishlock, www.nyfconsultants.com, Wolverhampton, UK

"bob" wrote:

I need help in trying to set up a work sheet that will keep track of an
average. I also need to know what I have to maintain to get the average I
am looking for. Example: I need to average .075 over a 24 hour period, lets
say that I have 12 hours of data, i need to know what I have to average the
remaining hours to get my .075. I enter the hourly numbers myself.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Bob

Assuming your data is entered in A1:X1
=(24*0.075-SUM(A1:INDEX(A1:X1,COUNT(A1:X1))))/
COUNTBLANK(A1:X1)
will give you the average required for the remaining unfilled hours
--
Regards
Roger Govier

"bob" wrote in message
I need help in trying to set up a work sheet that will keep track of an
average. I also need to know what I have to maintain to get the average I
am looking for. Example: I need to average .075 over a 24 hour period,
lets
say that I have 12 hours of data, i need to know what I have to average
the
remaining hours to get my .075. I enter the hourly numbers myself.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

This seems like an algebra question, not an Excel question. (Although there
could be an Excel question behind it.)

In general, if you have n of 24 hourly data, h[1] through h[n], then you are
looking for x, the average remaining hourly data, such that:

( h[1] + ... + h[n] + (24-n)*x ) / 24 = 0.075

So:

x = ( 24*0.075 - (h[1] + ... + h[n]) ) / (24-n)

In Excel terms, if A1 contains the target average (0.075) and if B1 up to
B24 contain the hourly data that you have, then:

=(24*A1 - SUM(B1:B24)) / (24 - COUNT(B1:B24))

I need help in trying to set up a work sheet that will keep track of an
average. I also need to know what I have to maintain to get the average I
am looking for. Example: I need to average .075 over a 24 hour period,
lets
say that I have 12 hours of data, i need to know what I have to average
the
remaining hours to get my .075. I enter the hourly numbers myself.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Bob

In cell C24 enter
=(24*0.075-SUM(A1:INDEX(A1:A24,COUNT(A1:A24))))
/COUNTBLANK(A1:A24)

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"bob" wrote in message
I need help in trying to set up a work sheet that will keep track of an
average. I also need to know what I have to maintain to get the average
am looking for. Example: I need to average .075 over a 24 hour period,
lets
say that I have 12 hours of data, i need to know what I have to average
the
remaining hours to get my .075. I enter the hourly numbers myself.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Bob

That's not too helpful.
Explain what you have done, what is not right and what it is that you want,
then maybe we can give some further help.

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"bob" wrote in message
I need help in trying to set up a work sheet that will keep track of
an
average. I also need to know what I have to maintain to get the
average I
am looking for. Example: I need to average .075 over a 24 hour
period,
lets
say that I have 12 hours of data, i need to know what I have to
average
the
remaining hours to get my .075. I enter the hourly numbers myself.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
bob bob is offline

I will try and explain. I have a number that I need to meet for a 24hr
average. That is .075. Lets say that I put all the data in columns A1 :
A24 as each hour completes. In another cell, lets say C24 I want it to
say what I need to average in the the unfilled cells so that I get my
average of .075. I do not know how to explain it any better. I had a
spreadsheet that use to work but I cannot seem to find it.

"bob" wrote in message
I need help in trying to set up a work sheet that will keep track of
an
average. I also need to know what I have to maintain to get the
average I
am looking for. Example: I need to average .075 over a 24 hour
period,
lets
say that I have 12 hours of data, i need to know what I have to
average
the
remaining hours to get my .075. I enter the hourly numbers myself.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi Bob

Well that is exactly what the last formula I supplied does.

If you want to send me a copy of your workbook, I will take a look for you.
To mail direct, send to
roger at technology4u dot co dot uk
Change the at and dots to make valid email address

--
Regards
Roger Govier