-   -   consolidating data and linking data (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/229915-consolidating-data-linking-data.html)

krangmummy

consolidating data and linking data

Hi

Can someone explain the difference between linking data from separate
workbooks and consolidating data?

I am currently using Excel 2003.

Could you also give me some examples of when to use consolidation and when
it is more appropriate to link? (if that makes any sense)

Thanks ^^

Max

consolidating data and linking data

Just offering some brief thoughts. "Consolidate" usually means to combine num
data (eg arithmetically sum up corrresponding nums) from a couple of places
in the same sheet or from identical ranges over several sheets. "Linking"
usually means to directly reproduce/reflect data from various places in the
book into a central place w/o any arithmetic operation. Check up Excel's help
for more info and examples.
--
Max
Singapore
"krangmummy" wrote:
Can someone explain the difference between linking data from separate
workbooks and consolidating data?

I am currently using Excel 2003.

Could you also give me some examples of when to use consolidation and when
it is more appropriate to link? (if that makes any sense)

Thanks ^^

krangmummy

consolidating data and linking data

Thanks Max, that is what I was looking for.