Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Table Lookup Help

I have a table that looks like the following:

Col.A Col.B Col.C Col.D Col.E
Row.1 4 3 2 1
Row.2 A 0.6 0.5 0.45 0.31
Row.3 B 0.55 0.51 0.42 0.32
Row.4 C 0.58 0.49 0.40 0.29

I have two values that exist in cell F1 and cell F2. The F1 cell contains
the row to be selected and use =Match(F1,A1:A3,0) (exact Match Always). This
tells me the row number that F1 value will correspond to; no problem there.
No once the proper row has been selected I need the F2 value (Not an Exact
Match) to be found in that row and I need the column value in Row 1 returned.

For example, if the F1 = "B" and the F2="0.49", which in turn selects the
next highest value in that row C3="0.51", but returns the value in cell C1="3"

How Can I do that? I have really strugglerd with this one.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi
Try
=INDEX($A$1:$E$1,MATCH(F2,INDEX($A$1:$E$4,
MATCH(F1,$A$1:$A$4,0),0),-1))

--
Regards
Roger Govier