-   -   changing cell contents based on a condition (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/229425-changing-cell-contents-based-condition.html)

Mike

changing cell contents based on a condition

For all cells in a column, E2 - E20, that contain a value of 0, how can you
change the value to a space while making no changes to cells containg a value
0?

Whitney Serio

changing cell contents based on a condition

Mike,

I can't tell you how to eliminate the value, but you could conditionally
format the cells that contain a value = to or less than 0 to white text-
which might accomplish what you need... if your main goal is to not see the
0...

"Mike" wrote in message
For all cells in a column, E2 - E20, that contain a value of 0, how can
you
change the value to a space while making no changes to cells containg a
value
0?

gls858

Mike wrote:
For all cells in a column, E2 - E20, that contain a value of 0, how can you
change the value to a space while making no changes to cells containg a value
0?

Find and replace? Select the cells find 0 change to blank

gls858

Gord Dibben

changing cell contents based on a condition

What is your aim?

To not see the zeros?

Do not replace with a space. That will cause you problems down the line.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 13:58:37 -0700, Mike
wrote:

For all cells in a column, E2 - E20, that contain a value of 0, how can you
change the value to a space while making no changes to cells containg a value
0?

Mike

changing cell contents based on a condition

Thanks for the response, but for what I'm doing, I need a space in the field
if the preceding fields are blank. I can "find and replace", but I wanted
something automatic.

"Mike" wrote in message
For all cells in a column, E2 - E20, that contain a value of 0, how can
you
change the value to a space while making no changes to cells containg a
value
0?

Mike

changing cell contents based on a condition

Thanks for the suggestion. I was trying to avoid doing this. I have 115,000
records in 6 spreadsheets and they we have to be recreated on a regular basis.

"gls858" wrote:

Mike wrote:
For all cells in a column, E2 - E20, that contain a value of 0, how can you
change the value to a space while making no changes to cells containg a value
0?

Find and replace? Select the cells find 0 change to blank

gls858

Mike

changing cell contents based on a condition

Approx. 115,000 records are being exported from a new software system. I'm
creating 6 smaller files from the large file based on the district they are
from. I'm then creating a spreadsheet for each file. Each line of the
spreadsheet will have an ID value in column A. Each line will have values in
either columns B,C,&D or E,F,"&G. If B&C or E&F are blank, I cannot have a 0
in D or G, which is happening now. When the spreadsheets are finished they
will be saved as a DBF file and the information will be used on a web site.
Random 0's are not acceptable. I can find and replace, but I would prefer to
use an embedded function.