-   -   Getting production times calculated (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/227754-getting-production-times-calculated.html)

Bob

Getting production times calculated

I have a total of 1346:16:00 hours formatted [h]:mm:ss. When I try to divide
this into number of peices picked 13384. I get 238.60 but when I have
entered on the calculator I get 9.94. Can someone tell me what the proper
format is to return the proper result? Thanks.

Gordon[_9_]

"Bob" wrote in message
I have a total of 1346:16:00 hours formatted [h]:mm:ss. When I try to
divide
this into number of peices picked 13384. I get 238.60 but when I have
entered on the calculator I get 9.94. Can someone tell me what the proper
format is to return the proper result? Thanks.

Well 9.94 is wrong as well - the correct answer (both by calculator and
Excel 2007) is 00.6.02
How are you doing this in Excel? (I can't reproduce anything that makes
238.6....)

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Roger Govier[_3_]

Getting production times calculated

Hi Bob

You have 2 errors (I believe).
If you want the Time taken per Piece, you should divide Time / Pieces.
You divided Pieces / Time and with a result cell formatted as General, that
gave you 238.6

However, Excel stores its times as fractions of a day, so we need to
multiply Time *24 to get to hours and then *60 to get to minutes.
So, with Time in A1, and Pieces in B1
=(A1*24*60)/B1 or =(A1*1440)/B1 formatted as General
gives the result of 6.0353 minutes per piece.

If, on the other hand you did want Pieces picked per Minute, then it would
be
=B1/(A1*1440)
which would give a result of 0.1657 pieces per minute
--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Roger Govier" <roger@technology4unospamdotcodotuk wrote in message
Hi Bob

You have 2 errors (I believe).
If you want the Time taken per Piece, you should divide Time / Pieces.
You divided Pieces / Time and with a result cell formatted as General,
that gave you 238.6

However, Excel stores its times as fractions of a day, so we need to
multiply Time *24 to get to hours and then *60 to get to minutes.
So, with Time in A1, and Pieces in B1
=(A1*24*60)/B1 or =(A1*1440)/B1 formatted as General
gives the result of 6.0353 minutes per piece.

If, on the other hand you did want Pieces picked per Minute, then it would
be
=B1/(A1*1440)
which would give a result of 0.1657 pieces per minute

Eh? Why so complicated?
Time in A1 (formatted hh.mm.ss), pieces in B1 (formatted in numbers), in C1
put A1/B1 (formatted in hh.mm.ss) gives 00.6.02 per piece.

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Roger Govier[_3_]

Getting production times calculated

Eh? Why so complicated?

Since the OP had expressed his results as General numbers, I kind of figured
he'd want to have his results in that format.
Of course, I may well have been wrong in making such an assumption.

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Gordon" wrote in message
[...]

Roger,

That fixed my issue. Thanks. I am looking for Pcs/hour. I missed the fact
in the documentation the time needs to be multiplied by 24.