Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default What formula should I use to count a number of records?

I have a list of computers....I want to count the total number of computers
in my list. I'm going nuts...it should be simple, but I can't figure it out!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"Princesshera1" wrote in message
I have a list of computers....I want to count the total number of computers
in my list. I'm going nuts...it should be simple, but I can't figure it
out!!!

Err COUNT?

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"Princesshera1" wrote in message
I have version 2003......I haven't gotten any error messages.....I just
want
to count the total number of computers I have listed.

That's what the Excel COUNT function will do.......Click on the fx button
and choose COUNT. It will walk you through the process.

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

assuming you have the list of computers in A2 to A100
try
=COUNT(A2:A100) or
or if there are blank cells in between
=COUNTA(A2:A100)
--
Hope this is helpful

Pls click the Yes button below if this post provide answer you have asked

Thank You

cheers, francis

Am not a greek but an ordinary user trying to assist another

"Princesshera1" wrote:

I have a list of computers....I want to count the total number of computers
in my list. I'm going nuts...it should be simple, but I can't figure it out!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"Gordon" wrote:

"Princesshera1" wrote in message
I have version 2003......I haven't gotten any error messages.....I just
want
to count the total number of computers I have listed.

That's what the Excel COUNT function will do.......Click on the fx button
and choose COUNT. It will walk you through the process.

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

I am using text as my criteria, not numbers. I typed in the following formula : =countif(b2:b56,"Optiplex 755") using the process given. When I tried it in the actual cell and hit the enter key to show the program I was done typing, the count was not listed, the formula was.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

COUNT will count only numeric cells.

COUNTA will count non-blank cells.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 10:32:06 -0700, Francis
wrote:

assuming you have the list of computers in A2 to A100
try
=COUNT(A2:A100) or
or if there are blank cells in between
=COUNTA(A2:A100)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Change the format to General then re-enter the formula.

F2 then ENTER

But use the COUNTA function.

COUNT function counts only numeric cells.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 10:41:01 -0700, Princesshera1
wrote:

"Gordon" wrote:

"Princesshera1" wrote in message
I have version 2003......I haven't gotten any error messages.....I just
want
to count the total number of computers I have listed.

That's what the Excel COUNT function will do.......Click on the fx button
and choose COUNT. It will walk you through the process.

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

I am using text as my criteria, not numbers. I typed in the following formula : =countif(b2:b56,"Optiplex 755") using the process given. When I tried it in the actual cell and hit the enter key to show the program I was done typing, the count was not listed, the formula was.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Mixed interpretations of your needs.

To count all computers use the COUNTA function

To count specific computers use the COUNTIF function.

Gord

wrote:

"Gordon" wrote:

"Princesshera1" wrote in message
I have version 2003......I haven't gotten any error messages.....I just
want
to count the total number of computers I have listed.

That's what the Excel COUNT function will do.......Click on the fx button
and choose COUNT. It will walk you through the process.

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

I am using text as my criteria, not numbers. I typed in the following formula : =countif(b2:b56,"Optiplex 755") using the process given. When I tried it in the actual cell and hit the enter key to show the program I was done typing, the count was not listed, the formula was.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

See my other posts for different interpretations.

But yes.............COUNTA counts all cells with anything in them. Text or
numbers.

Gord

wrote:

assuming you have the list of computers in A2 to A100
try
=COUNT(A2:A100) or
or if there are blank cells in between
=COUNTA(A2:A100)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

to count the number of cells contain text, use
=COUNTIF(A2:A14,"*")

COUNTA is use to count non blank cells