Old January 17th 09, 01:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default "Marching ants" around copied cell

Press and hold Alt & F11, the VBE (visual basic editor) will open, on
the left you will see a list of your worksheets and on called
ThisWorkbook, they are all code modules, double click the Thisworkbook
and paste the code i gave.

If you are ever given code for a standard module then use Alt+F11 as
before and instead of double clicking Thisworkbook, right click in that
area, choose Insert and then choose Module, then you can paste your code
in there. The best way to learn is to record a macro while you are doing
a task and then go back and take a look at the generated code, it's true
to say that you will see a lot of code that is excess to requirements
but it will give you a basic idea on how things are structured.Riccol;186154 Wrote:
I've never used a Macro before. The spreadsheets I make are mostly just
invoices and ledger stuff for my small (very small) business, no real
complicated formulas or anything, thus I've never tried learning about
Macros.

So the codes posted to kill the ants are greek to me, I don't even know
where I'm supposed to type them. But I'd like to learn what to do with
them if anyone has the time to explain it.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

RC

T. Valko wrote:
I use the "Ant_Killer" method!

To the OP:

Do you use macros for anything and if so do you have any of them

stored in a
file called Personal.xls?

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,
Simon Lloyd
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=50724

Old January 17th 09, 01:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks, Simon. I'm going to tackle your instructions in the AM and
report back after. (Your method sounds especially good as you say it
kills the ants immediately after pasting.)

RC

Old January 17th 09, 02:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

The macros provided by Biff and myself are just manually run macros and
should be copied into a General/Standard module, not event type code which
would go into Thisworkbook or a worksheet module.

If you're not familiar with VBA and macros, see David McRitchie's site for
more on "getting started".

or Ron de De Bruin's site on where to store macros.

http://www.rondebruin.nl/code.htm

In the meantime..........

First...create a backup copy of your original workbook.

To create a General Module, hit ALT + F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor.

Hit CRTL + r to open Project Explorer.

Find your workbook/project and select it.

Right-click and InsertModule. Paste the code in there. Save the
workbook and hit ALT + Q to return to your workbook.

Run or edit the macro by going to ToolMacroMacros.

You can also assign this macro to a button or a shortcut key combo.

I would recommend not using the SendKeys macro.........SendKeys can be a
little flaky. I've never noticed but better safe than sorry.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Old January 17th 09, 03:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

The method that Simon is describing can only be used in the workbook in
which you place the code.

The method I use (which takes more work to setup) can be used in any
workbook.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

Old January 17th 09, 06:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Would that be the same if the code was saved in PERSONAL.xls?

???

I'm not following you.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

Simon Lloyd wrote:
[...]

Simon Lloyd's Profile:
http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=1
View this thread: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=50724

Old January 17th 09, 06:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Sorry!, i meant if the code was stored in the ThisWorkbook module of

Simon Lloyd wrote:
[...]

'The Code Cage' ('The Code Cage' (http://www.thecodecage.com))

Simon Lloyd's Profile:
'The Code Cage Forums - View Profile: Simon Lloyd'

(http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=1)
View this thread: '\"Marching ants\" around copied cell - The Code

Cage Forums' (http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...ad.php?t=50724)

Old January 17th 09, 11:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I hadn't tried it, i thought that all code stored in the PERSONAL.xls
was available in each workbook you open. This may be crude but how about
putting that Thisworkbook code in the .xlb file? as this is the base
file that excel references when starting (or at least thats what i
presume) wouldn't every workbook you open already be populated with that
code?

Simon Lloyd wrote:
[...]

'The Code Cage' ('The Code Cage' ('The Code Cage'

(http://www.thecodecage.com)))

Simon Lloyd's Profile:
'The Code Cage Forums - View Profile: Simon Lloyd'
('The Code Cage Forums - View Profile: Simon Lloyd'

(http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=1))
View this thread: '\"Marching ants\" around copied cell - The Code
Cage Forums' ('\"Marching ants\" around copied cell - The Code Cage

Forums' (http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/sh...d.php?t=50724))

Old January 17th 09, 11:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

The *.xlb file is a file that stores information about toolbars and menus.

What you could do is create a new default book.xlt template and put the code
in there. Save the book.xlt file in the Excel startup directory. Then every
*new file* will have the code available but already existing files won't
have it.

Eh, that doesn't sound too "cool"! I'm sure you'd want to have this
available to *every* file. The only way I know how to do that is what I've
done and create a toolbar button and attach the macro.

It's more of an "ergonomics" issue with me. It's easier to use the mouse to
click the button then to have to look away to the keyboard and "find" the
ESC key!