-   -   adding values from 2 columns (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/214682-adding-values-2-columns.html)

Gabs

adding values from 2 columns

I am trying to compose a personal cash flow chart where I can enter outgoings
and income for every day of the month and see what the balance is on any day.
I need to get a value in Col F which adds the value in Col C (daily income),
subtracts the value in Col E (daily outgoings) and shows the balance.
Also I may have to specify several rows if I have multiple outgoings on a
particular day.
Any ideas gratefully received.
Gaby

mikebres

Subject: adding values from 2 columns

Sounds like you want a checkbook register.

Something like this?
A B C D E
Start Bal $1,023.32
Date Item Expense Deposit Balance
$10.12 $1,013.20
$23.32 $989.88
$9.95 $100.00 $1,079.93

The formula in column E:
=IF(C4+D4=0,"",$E$2-SUM($C$4:C4)+SUM($D$4:D4))

The formula starts with the Starting Balance and subtracts the sum of all of
the Expenses, then adds the sum of all of the Deposits.
Ths Sum function uses a combination of Abolute and Referential referencing
to allow the Sum range to grow as you copy it down the page.
The If statement checks to see if Both column C and column D are zero, if
they are it prints a blank in the cell, if either one has a value greater
than zero then it calculates the sum.

Mike