-   -   "Fill" command (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/208406-fill-command.html)

Lin Kypta

"Fill" command

I am an experienced builder of spreadsheets, but I am new to Excel 2007 in a
VISTA system. The problem: I can't find the "fill" command and since it is
such a powerful function in building spreadsheets, I feel certain that it
must be in there somewhere. I haven't been able to find it after an hour of
searching and I REALLY NEED THE FILL COMMAND - for current project as well as
future projects. Can someone please tell me where it is in MS Excel 2007?
Many thanks
Lin

gls858

"Fill" command

Lin Kypta wrote:
I am an experienced builder of spreadsheets, but I am new to Excel 2007 in a
VISTA system. The problem: I can't find the "fill" command and since it is
such a powerful function in building spreadsheets, I feel certain that it
must be in there somewhere. I haven't been able to find it after an hour of
searching and I REALLY NEED THE FILL COMMAND - for current project as well as
future projects. Can someone please tell me where it is in MS Excel 2007?
Many thanks
Lin

Home tab, editing box. It's the icon with the down arrow.

gls858

Ron@Buy

"Fill" command

For future reference this may be helpful:

Scroll down the page to "New locations of familiar commands" and 'click' on:

Excel Ribbon mapping workbook.

"Lin Kypta" wrote:

I am an experienced builder of spreadsheets, but I am new to Excel 2007 in a
VISTA system. The problem: I can't find the "fill" command and since it is
such a powerful function in building spreadsheets, I feel certain that it
must be in there somewhere. I haven't been able to find it after an hour of
searching and I REALLY NEED THE FILL COMMAND - for current project as well as
future projects. Can someone please tell me where it is in MS Excel 2007?
Many thanks
Lin

ShaneDevenshire

"Fill" command

Hi,

If you like the fill command, then it would be worth learning the fill
handle. At the bottom right corner of the selected cell is a small square,
when you drag this you are performing a fill. You can drag the fill handle
in all 4 directions. You can drag it with the Ctrl key down, you can drag it
with the right mouse button. each of these causes the fill to do something
different. When you just drag the fill handle down and release the mouse a
small Options icon appears near the bottom of the fill range. You can click
that and get a number of options regarding your fill.

There are two shortcut keys for filling data - Ctrl+D and Ctrl+R. These
are fill down and fill right. If you select a cell with a formula and the
empty cells below it Ctrl+D would fill the formula down. If you selected a
cell with text and the cells to the right and press Ctrl+R the text would be
copied to all the selected cell.

And the command is found in the Editing group on the far right of the Home
tab ribbon, directly under the AutoSum button.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"Lin Kypta" wrote:

I am an experienced builder of spreadsheets, but I am new to Excel 2007 in a
VISTA system. The problem: I can't find the "fill" command and since it is
such a powerful function in building spreadsheets, I feel certain that it
must be in there somewhere. I haven't been able to find it after an hour of
searching and I REALLY NEED THE FILL COMMAND - for current project as well as
future projects. Can someone please tell me where it is in MS Excel 2007?
Many thanks
Lin

Somona

"Fill" command