Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
CC CC is offline

Default AutoSum

I know this should be easy, but....
If I autosum several cells...and then want to add more cells with numbers
and get a new autosum of all cells - how do I do this? When trying, it's not
adding them all up - it is just coping the total of the last cell. Can you
help?
--
CC
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Give us an example of what range you first used AutoSum on then show us what
you want to add to the range.

i.e. where do you add the "more cells with numbers"

Are you inserting these above the autosum formula?

In that case the new numbers should be included.

One more thing............is calculation mode set to automatic?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 11:45:01 -0700, CC wrote:

I know this should be easy, but....
If I autosum several cells...and then want to add more cells with numbers
and get a new autosum of all cells - how do I do this? When trying, it's not
adding them all up - it is just coping the total of the last cell. Can you
help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
CC CC is offline

Well, I just realized what I was asking didn't really make sense. In other
words, I probably would never want to do that. Can you tell me how to select
and add two different totals together? I'm able to select them by using the
control key, but I can't figure out how to add them together without having
to build a formula. Thank you so much.
--
CC

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Give us an example of what range you first used AutoSum on then show us what
you want to add to the range.

i.e. where do you add the "more cells with numbers"

Are you inserting these above the autosum formula?

In that case the new numbers should be included.

One more thing............is calculation mode set to automatic?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 11:45:01 -0700, CC wrote:

I know this should be easy, but....
If I autosum several cells...and then want to add more cells with numbers
and get a new autosum of all cells - how do I do this? When trying, it's not
adding them all up - it is just coping the total of the last cell. Can you
help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Max Max is offline

.. When trying, it's not adding them all up ..

You need to hold down CTRL key while selecting the different cells/ranges,
then just press ENTER at the end of it all to confirm the SUM formula.
--
Max
Singapore
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

AutoSum will display the sum of all selected cells, regardless of
whether they are all in a contiguous block. Suppose you want to select
and see the total of A1:B10 and F11:G20. Hold down the SHIFT key and
select A1:B10. Release the SHIFT key and hold down the CTRL key. Now
select F11:G20. To select more Areas, keep the CTRL key down and
select the Areas. Note that if you select unwanted cells, you can't
"unselect" them without losing the full selection. If you are
interested, I have code at http://www.cpearson.com/excel/unselect.htm
that allows you to unselect a Cell or Area while keeping the rest of
the selection intact.

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft Most Valuable Professional
Excel Product Group
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com
(email on web site)

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 13:27:03 -0700, CC
wrote:

Well, I just realized what I was asking didn't really make sense. In other
words, I probably would never want to do that. Can you tell me how to select
and add two different totals together? I'm able to select them by using the
control key, but I can't figure out how to add them together without having
to build a formula. Thank you so much.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

See other replies for summing selected cells by autosum in a cell.

If you just want to see the sum without using a formula, CTRL + click on the
cells then right-click on Status Bar and "SUM"

Gord

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 13:27:03 -0700, CC wrote:

Well, I just realized what I was asking didn't really make sense. In other
words, I probably would never want to do that. Can you tell me how to select
and add two different totals together? I'm able to select them by using the
control key, but I can't figure out how to add them together without having
to build a formula. Thank you so much.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

Let's suppose this is what you want, with data laid out like this

10
12
14
----
36 a SUM function here

11
34
1
----
46 another SUM function here

====
Grand total here

and you want a formula to sum the sums? Suppose the first number above
starts in A1 and the Grand total cell is A14.
Highlight A1:A14 and click the AutoSum button.

This trick works for as many 30 groups (subtotals) in 2003 and 255 in 2007.

Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Give us an example of what range you first used AutoSum on then show us what
you want to add to the range.

i.e. where do you add the "more cells with numbers"

Are you inserting these above the autosum formula?

In that case the new numbers should be included.

One more thing............is calculation mode set to automatic?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 11:45:01 -0700, CC wrote:

I know this should be easy, but....
If I autosum several cells...and then want to add more cells with numbers
and get a new autosum of all cells - how do I do this? When trying, it's not
adding them all up - it is just coping the total of the last cell. Can you
help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
CC CC is offline

Right click? That's not working - when I right click on the "SUM" it just
pulls up a menu.... and when I left click on it - it does not work
either....I'm holding down the control key selecting my cells and then
clicking (left) on SUM and it does not add them - it just gives me one of the
numbers -it's not adding them together. What am I doing wrong?
--
CC

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

See other replies for summing selected cells by autosum in a cell.

If you just want to see the sum without using a formula, CTRL + click on the
cells then right-click on Status Bar and "SUM"

Gord

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 13:27:03 -0700, CC wrote:

Well, I just realized what I was asking didn't really make sense. In other
words, I probably would never want to do that. Can you tell me how to select
and add two different totals together? I'm able to select them by using the
control key, but I can't figure out how to add them together without having
to build a formula. Thank you so much.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
CC CC is offline

Okay - this is what I'm doing that is not working....
In cell A1 I have 2 in the cell.
A2 = 2
A3 = 2
A4 - I autoSumed and total is 6. Then in A7 = 2,
A8 = 2
A9 = 2
A10 = AutoSummed and total is 6. Now I want to add A4 and A10. I'm holding
down the control key and clicking on A4 and then A10, then clicking on a
clear cell where I want the sum, say A15. Then I'm clicking AutoSum and it's
coming up with 6 instead of 12. What am I doing wrong please?
--
CC

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

See other replies for summing selected cells by autosum in a cell.

If you just want to see the sum without using a formula, CTRL + click on the
cells then right-click on Status Bar and "SUM"

Gord

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 13:27:03 -0700, CC wrote:

Well, I just realized what I was asking didn't really make sense. In other
words, I probably would never want to do that. Can you tell me how to select
and add two different totals together? I'm able to select them by using the
control key, but I can't figure out how to add them together without having
to build a formula. Thank you so much.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi CC,

Maybe this is what you are trying to do.

With your data in place in A1:A10 as per your example,

Highlight from A1:A15
Then click the AutoSum button.

HTH
Martin

wrote:

Well, I just realized what I was asking didn't really make sense. In
other
words, I probably would never want to do that. Can you tell me how to
select
and add two different totals together? I'm able to select them by using
the
control key, but I can't figure out how to add them together without
having
to build a formula. Thank you so much.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
CC CC is offline

I found a lesson on-line and and I realize that the sum is given in the
status bar at the bottom. Then I guess you just type your total in the
desired cell.
Thank you all for your help.
--
CC

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Give us an example of what range you first used AutoSum on then show us what
you want to add to the range.

i.e. where do you add the "more cells with numbers"

Are you inserting these above the autosum formula?

In that case the new numbers should be included.

One more thing............is calculation mode set to automatic?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 11:45:01 -0700, CC wrote:

I know this should be easy, but....
If I autosum several cells...and then want to add more cells with numbers
and get a new autosum of all cells - how do I do this? When trying, it's not
adding them all up - it is just coping the total of the last cell. Can you
help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,

That is not what Excel is all about! You shouldn't need to type the result
in. If your data is laid out as described then Excel will give you the
answers by the method shown in the last two posts. If the shown method is
not working then your data is not laid out as described.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Give us an example of what range you first used AutoSum on then show us what
you want to add to the range.

i.e. where do you add the "more cells with numbers"

Are you inserting these above the autosum formula?

In that case the new numbers should be included.

One more thing............is calculation mode set to automatic?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 11:45:01 -0700, CC wrote:

I know this should be easy, but....
If I autosum several cells...and then want to add more cells with numbers
and get a new autosum of all cells - how do I do this? When trying, it's not
adding them all up - it is just coping the total of the last cell. Can you
help?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
CC CC is offline

Hi Shane,

I highlighted the entire column, so to speak, as you mentioned and it
worked! I forgot that the : meant through so I wasn't doing it correctly.
Thank you for your persistance. This online help is fantastic. I really
like knowing that I can come here for help. Have a great day!
--
CC