Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Column Headings, Fixing In-Place

I use Excel 2007 and I'm a novice. I created a listing of my community
including column headings (i.e. Name, Address, etc). The problem I'm
experiencing is that when I add a new name at the very bottom of the listing
(the listing is nearly 3 pages long) and then have Excel sort the names to
but the new name in its proper alphabetical place, the process "bumps" the
column headings on the proceeding pages and the column headings are no longer
in their proper locations. Is there a way I can "fix" column headings so
that they always appear at the top of each page, even if I add new names to
the listing?

Much thanks from Florida!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Thanks, Sheeloo. I'll give it a try but keeping the headers visible
on-screen while scrolling is not the problem. The problem is when I add new
data at the end and then have Excel do a sort, the subsequent headers get
"bumped" into a new row. I'm trying to prevent that from happening.

Am I trying to do something that can't be done???

Many Thanks!

"Col Gregg" wrote:

I use Excel 2007 and I'm a novice. I created a listing of my community
including column headings (i.e. Name, Address, etc). The problem I'm
experiencing is that when I add a new name at the very bottom of the listing
(the listing is nearly 3 pages long) and then have Excel sort the names to
but the new name in its proper alphabetical place, the process "bumps" the
column headings on the proceeding pages and the column headings are no longer
in their proper locations. Is there a way I can "fix" column headings so
that they always appear at the top of each page, even if I add new names to
the listing?

Much thanks from Florida!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Don't despair...

To sort select your range...
Click on Data|Sort
Click on 'My data has headers' on the top right corner of the sort options
box...
choose the columns you want to sort on.

"Col Gregg" wrote:

I use Excel 2007 and I'm a novice. I created a listing of my community
including column headings (i.e. Name, Address, etc). The problem I'm
experiencing is that when I add a new name at the very bottom of the listing
(the listing is nearly 3 pages long) and then have Excel sort the names to
but the new name in its proper alphabetical place, the process "bumps" the
column headings on the proceeding pages and the column headings are no longer
in their proper locations. Is there a way I can "fix" column headings so
that they always appear at the top of each page, even if I add new names to
the listing?

Much thanks from Florida!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hey Sheeloo,
That sounds more like what I'm trying to do....however, it's very late and
I'm too tired to give it a try tonight. I'll try it out tomorrow and let you
know if that does the trick. I truly appreciate you helping a newbie like
myself learn Excel.

"Col Gregg" wrote:

I use Excel 2007 and I'm a novice. I created a listing of my community
including column headings (i.e. Name, Address, etc). The problem I'm
experiencing is that when I add a new name at the very bottom of the listing
(the listing is nearly 3 pages long) and then have Excel sort the names to
but the new name in its proper alphabetical place, the process "bumps" the
column headings on the proceeding pages and the column headings are no longer
in their proper locations. Is there a way I can "fix" column headings so
that they always appear at the top of each page, even if I add new names to
the listing?

Much thanks from Florida!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I'm Baaaack! I tried your latest suggestion. Unfortunately, it did not
work. Perhaps I'm not explaining the situation correctly so let me try again:
I developed a listing of my community. The data includes items such as last
name, first name, address, etc. The complete file is about 3 pages long. I
created headers on each page (using the copy/paste function) to reflect the
contents of each column (again, last name, first name, address,etc.). It all
looks just the way I want it with each of the 3 pages correctly showing the
column headings. It also prints each page correctly. The problem occurs
when I add additional names to this listing. I usually add this new data at
the end of the list and then have Excel put it in the proper order through
the sort function. The sort function works properly, however, it includes
the headers on pages 2 and 3 (but not page 1) as part of the sorting process.
Consequently, the headers are moved to their "proper" alphabetical place
rather than remaining in their original place as a page header. In the sort
function box, the "my data has headers" box is checked but it is also grayed
out.
What I want to be able to do is enter new data at the end of this list,
invoke the sort function, and have the column headings remain as column
headings on their respective pages (in other words, have the headers exempt
from the sorting process). I'm confident that there's a way to do this but
as a novice, I don't know where to look. If you need additional info, I'm
happy to provide it.

I can't thank you enough, Sheeloo, for your patience and sharing your
expertise with me. Hope your weekend was GREAT!

Gregg

"Col Gregg" wrote:

I use Excel 2007 and I'm a novice. I created a listing of my community
including column headings (i.e. Name, Address, etc). The problem I'm
experiencing is that when I add a new name at the very bottom of the listing
(the listing is nearly 3 pages long) and then have Excel sort the names to
but the new name in its proper alphabetical place, the process "bumps" the
column headings on the proceeding pages and the column headings are no longer
in their proper locations. Is there a way I can "fix" column headings so
that they always appear at the top of each page, even if I add new names to
the listing?

Much thanks from Florida!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Sounds like you have the extra rows of Titles so's you can print those on
every printed page.

If this is correct, just delete them except for the top row of Titles.

When printing, choose "rows to repeat at top" and select row 1

Also, to have them in view when scrolling down, select A2 and WindowFreeze
Panes.

If you truly needed the extra title rows, you would have to delete them,
sort then replace them.

This could involve VBA to automate it.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"Col Gregg" wrote:

I use Excel 2007 and I'm a novice. I created a listing of my community
including column headings (i.e. Name, Address, etc). The problem I'm
experiencing is that when I add a new name at the very bottom of the listing
(the listing is nearly 3 pages long) and then have Excel sort the names to
but the new name in its proper alphabetical place, the process "bumps" the
column headings on the proceeding pages and the column headings are no longer
in their proper locations. Is there a way I can "fix" column headings so
that they always appear at the top of each page, even if I add new names to
the listing?

Much thanks from Florida!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Mea Culpa, Gord. Soon after I recieved your reply, I became very ill.
However, I knew as I read your solution that it would probably do the trick.

I'm feeling better today and I was anxious to give your advice a go. It
took me awhile to find the "rows to repeat at top" tab but once I did, it
worked exactly the way I wanted it to.

I can't thank you (or Sheeloo, for that matter) enough for your expertise
and patience in working with a novice such as myself. Its so comforting to
know folks like you are ot there for folks like me!

Gregg

"Col Gregg" wrote:

I use Excel 2007 and I'm a novice. I created a listing of my community
including column headings (i.e. Name, Address, etc). The problem I'm
experiencing is that when I add a new name at the very bottom of the listing
(the listing is nearly 3 pages long) and then have Excel sort the names to
but the new name in its proper alphabetical place, the process "bumps" the
column headings on the proceeding pages and the column headings are no longer
in their proper locations. Is there a way I can "fix" column headings so
that they always appear at the top of each page, even if I add new names to
the listing?

Much thanks from Florida!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Good to hear you're feeling better.

Also good to hear the "rows to repeat at top" did the trick.

Gord

"Col Gregg" wrote:

I use Excel 2007 and I'm a novice. I created a listing of my community
including column headings (i.e. Name, Address, etc). The problem I'm
experiencing is that when I add a new name at the very bottom of the listing
(the listing is nearly 3 pages long) and then have Excel sort the names to
but the new name in its proper alphabetical place, the process "bumps" the
column headings on the proceeding pages and the column headings are no longer
in their proper locations. Is there a way I can "fix" column headings so
that they always appear at the top of each page, even if I add new names to
the listing?

Much thanks from Florida!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
dk dk is offline

Your advice on keeping the column titles works for one row of titles, but I
have 2 rows at the top. How do I keep both rows from becoming part of the
alphabetical sortation?
dk

"Col Gregg" wrote:

I use Excel 2007 and I'm a novice. I created a listing of my community
including column headings (i.e. Name, Address, etc). The problem I'm
experiencing is that when I add a new name at the very bottom of the listing
(the listing is nearly 3 pages long) and then have Excel sort the names to
but the new name in its proper alphabetical place, the process "bumps" the
column headings on the proceeding pages and the column headings are no longer
in their proper locations. Is there a way I can "fix" column headings so
that they always appear at the top of each page, even if I add new names to
the listing?

Much thanks from Florida!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi

Either select only from Row 2 downward when selecting your range to Sort,
and select My Data has Headers
or
Select from 3 downward and do NOT select my data has Headers.

--
Regards
Roger Govier