-   -   How do I set the default date (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/205979-how-do-i-set-default-date.html)

Kruppy

How do I set the default date

The help file says to set the date in Control Panel. My regional setting in
control panel shows the default date as 10/11/08 but when I enter in "10/11"
it is changed to "11-Oct"

Mike H

How do I set the default date

Hi,

What do you want to see when yo do this? 10/11

if so
Format|Cell|Number tab
select Custom
and enter the custom format of
mm/dd

Mike

"Kruppy" wrote:

The help file says to set the date in Control Panel. My regional setting in
control panel shows the default date as 10/11/08 but when I enter in "10/11"
it is changed to "11-Oct"

Kruppy

How do I set the default date

I realize I can format it. There are lots of date formats available in excel.
Excel chooses the DEFAULT date when I enter what it sees as a date. How do I
change that default.

"Kruppy" wrote:

The help file says to set the date in Control Panel. My regional setting in
control panel shows the default date as 10/11/08 but when I enter in "10/11"
it is changed to "11-Oct"

John C[_2_]

How do I set the default date

You change the format under Format|Cells, Number tab, Date, and choose your
format.

The regional setting you are referring to of 10/11/08 is fine. What they are
referring to is MM/DD/YY. Other places have DD/MM/YY.

You type in 10/11 in a cell (formatted as general), will show the date as
11-Oct. This is neither of the 2 formats technically listed above, this is
DD-MMM. If your regional setting was DD/MM/YY, and you entered 10/11 into a
cell, then your date in general format would most likely be 10-Nov instead
of 11-Oct.

Hope that helps.
--
John C

"Kruppy" wrote:

The help file says to set the date in Control Panel. My regional setting in
control panel shows the default date as 10/11/08 but when I enter in "10/11"
it is changed to "11-Oct"

gls858

How do I set the default date

"Kruppy" wrote:

The help file says to set the date in Control Panel. My regional setting in
control panel shows the default date as 10/11/08 but when I enter in "10/11"
it is changed to "11-Oct"

You could set the sheet up the way you want it and then save it as a
template.

gls858

JP[_4_]

How do I set the default date