-   -   linking columns for auto fill-in (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/205251-linking-columns-auto-fill.html)

williamz

linking columns for auto fill-in

I'm very new at this - I want to simplify filling in a timesheet. I have one
column with text descriptions and an adjoining column with code numbers for
each description. I want to type in the first few letters of the description
and have auto fill-in generate the remainder of the text, AND, the
corresponding code number. This is my first post.
Thanks very much - williamz

Gord Dibben

linking columns for auto fill-in

If you have a contiguous range of cells in the description column and
Autocomplete enabled, the first few letters typed should give you the
choices.

For the adjoining column fill-in you could use a VLOOKUP formula and a
lookup table.

Assumes each same description has the same code number.

See help on VLOOKUP.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP