-   -   populating from sheets -- and PLEASE don't tell me I need VB! (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/20335-populating-sheets-please-dont-tell-me-i-need-vbulletin.html)

RedHeadedMenace

populating from sheets -- and PLEASE don't tell me I need VB!

Stupid newbie question, Excel 2003:

I have a 2 sheet document. SOME of the info from Sheet 1 needs to appear on
Sheet 2.

For example, Sheet 1 Column G values need to be populated to Sheet 2 as
Column B, Column H needs to be Column D, etc.

Is there any way to automate this without having to write a VB script? I
know a macro could kind of do it, but I don't think it could take all the
parameters, since Sheet 1 is constanly being altered (i.e., new values,
etc.). Oh, and all rows are relational so that G3 value from Sheet 1 when it
goes to Sheet 2 B17 also has to have H3 from Sheet 1 go to D17. Essentially,
the command is: suck only these input values from Sheet 1 and pout them HERE
on Sheet 2.

It would be really nice if the formula could be set up not just as a page
function but as a workbook function (i.e, =SH1A3 (as in Sheet 1, cell A3),
but I haven't seen anything to suggest that this could be done, and my excel
guru friend says she's never done anything but C&P to move info.

Have tried to read VB programming instrux and eyes glaze at the gibberish.
Sorry, I am just a dumb girl trying to run Office, not a a techie who can
even begin to understand prog jargon.

respond please via NG OR email.

THX!!!!

Don Guillett

Macros would be better since you can arrange to NOT leave resource hogging
formulae but try. Notice the
! ! !

=sheet1!a4

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"RedHeadedMenace" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Gord Dibben

Red

You can "link" cells from one sheet to another so's what you enter on sheet1
will be entered in sheet2.

On sheet2 in column B at B1 enter =sheet1!G1

You can drag/copy down as far as you need.

When you enter something in sheet1G1 it will be entered in sheet2B1

Watch out if you sort column G on sheet1, sheet2 won't follow.

These are the basics of linking.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 11:43:01 -0800, RedHeadedMenace
wrote:

[...]

Thanks to both of you!!! I am amazed I was so close to the answer in
postulating a formula!!!

I never could find this under any search in my Excel help or MSO KB online.

XOXOXO!

wrote:

[...]

glad to help

--