-   -   Character Set (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/203048-character-set.html)

P D Sterling

Character Set

I haven't seen this talked about recently. Periodically, I get a small
database in UTF-8 encoding. When I upload it to Excel, I get garbage for
such characters as ü, é, â, and many more.

I experimented, opening it in a text editor, and it read correctly, but
when I asked the text editor to convert it to Windows ISO, the accented
characters became garbage. It wouldn't be such a problem, but sometimes
I don't know that "L!@#$%vis" means "Lévis," if I have never heard of
the place!

I tried the help function, but all the available comments were
*un*helpful. Any assistance would be gratefully appreciated.

P D Sterling
Florida, New York USA

Sheeloo[_2_]

Character Set

Can you send the data you get to me (few rows of data would do...)?

What is the Font being used?

Which version of Excel are you using?