Old July 16th 08, 11:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default need to learn it all... quickly!

<which is a bit of an exaggeration

Some would call that a lie. I think *that* is an exaggeration.

There will be a 20 minutes test. If that test is any good, it will show the poster's capabilities; you fail or pass.
If it's not a good test, it might reject capable people, which is unfair. I've seen no concern over that here.

I think it will be difficult to learn enough about Excel in a week, but let's be honest; in many companies you're considered an
expert if you know 10% of Excel's features.

Anyway, if this poster works hard and passes a test, so is capable of doing what the company requires, what's wrong with that?

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

Old July 25th 08, 03:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Just couldn't wait to share with you that I completely taught myself the
basics and aced the job interview. As I mentioned, the interview involved a
TEST on the BASICS excel so if I wouldn't be cheating anyone out of a job
that they deserved because I'd have to have the skills to pass the test.
Which I did - with flying colours.

I've been offered the job... it's secretarial work. I don't *need* to know
how to make pivot tables. There's a difference between having moral
standards and sticking your head up your backside.

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Do you really think it fair to yourself or your employer to apply for a job
you are unqualified for.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

Old July 25th 08, 05:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Congratulations!

Keep visiting these newsgroups. That will help you to become a "real" expert.
Some of the MVPs became experts in very little time. It was just that their mind was open to it, they were in a good condition an
they probably worked hard.
Copy that!