-   -   Formulas returning a blank if no data entered in one cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/19401-formulas-returning-blank-if-no-data-entered-one-cell.html)

Mifty Jackson

Formulas returning a blank if no data entered in one cell

Hi,
Very new to all this! I want to set up cells showing a percentage
difference. I've figured out how to get it to do that but want to have a
blank cell if no data has been entered into one of the other cells i.e price
before increase = A, price after increase = B and C = % diff. If I don't
enter a value in B how can I make sure C is blank?
Also would you recommend keeping formulas in a separate part of the
worksheet and returning the answer to C. If so how would I do that.
Sorry this is a bit rambly
--
Mifty

JulieD

Hi Mifty

Q1 - embed the formula in an IF statement e.g.
=IF(ISBLANK(B2),"",your_current_formula)
Q2
you can't a formula can only affect the cell it is in ... so the "best" you
could do is have your formula in say E100 and in C2 have =E100 which doesn't
do you any favours and is therefore not recommended

Cheers
JulieD

"Mifty Jackson" wrote in message
Very new to all this! I want to set up cells showing a percentage
difference. I've figured out how to get it to do that but want to have a
blank cell if no data has been entered into one of the other cells i.e
price
before increase = A, price after increase = B and C = % diff. If I don't
enter a value in B how can I make sure C is blank?
Also would you recommend keeping formulas in a separate part of the
worksheet and returning the answer to C. If so how would I do that.
Sorry this is a bit rambly
--
Mifty

Mifty Jackson

Thank you so much JulieD, it worked a treat
Mifty

"Mifty Jackson" wrote:

Hi,
Very new to all this! I want to set up cells showing a percentage
difference. I've figured out how to get it to do that but want to have a
blank cell if no data has been entered into one of the other cells i.e price
before increase = A, price after increase = B and C = % diff. If I don't
enter a value in B how can I make sure C is blank?
Also would you recommend keeping formulas in a separate part of the
worksheet and returning the answer to C. If so how would I do that.
Sorry this is a bit rambly
--
Mifty

JulieD

you're welcome and thanks for the feedback