-   -   Sort combination of letters and numbers (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/190359-sort-combination-letters-numbers.html)

Millabird

Sort combination of letters and numbers

I have this type of data to sort: C-1, C-2, C-3, C-4, C-5, C-6, all the way
up to C-500, but it doesn't sort into number order. How can I make it sort
by number, and disregard the "C-" part? thanks!

Jim Cone[_2_]

Sort combination of letters and numbers

Assuming your data is in column C and it starts in row 1...
In a blank column next to your data enter this formula...
=RIGHT(C1,LEN(C1)-2)
Fill the formula down to the bottom of your data.
Select both columns and sort using the new column as the key.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"Millabird" wrote in message
I have this type of data to sort: C-1, C-2, C-3, C-4, C-5, C-6, all the way
up to C-500, but it doesn't sort into number order. How can I make it sort
by number, and disregard the "C-" part? thanks!

Bernard Liengme

Sort combination of letters and numbers

You will need a 'helper' column with the number extracted
If the C-nnnn is in A1, use =--MID(A1,3,255) to get nnn
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP