-   -   Excel Viewer 2003 Problem (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/184837-excel-viewer-2003-problem.html)

Michael Gerbasio

Excel Viewer 2003 Problem

Hi,
I'm a a co-worker sending me spreadsheets that are created in alother
program and saved as Excel files. I have no problem opening these in MS
Excel 2003 or 2007, but I do get a message that says the file is in a
different format than specified by the file extension but it opens fine.

When I tyr to open these in MS Excel Viewer, it tells me the file is
corrupt. I don't need the full version of Excel with me on my notebook and
was hoping to just use the viewer. Is there a program from MS that can check
and correct these Excel files, like a recovery program, so I can use these
with viewer? Thanks.

Regards-Michael G.

Gordon

Excel Viewer 2003 Problem

"Michael Gerbasio" wrote in message
I'm a a co-worker sending me spreadsheets that are created in alother
program and saved as Excel files. I have no problem opening these in MS
Excel 2003 or 2007, but I do get a message that says the file is in a
different format than specified by the file extension but it opens fine.

When I tyr to open these in MS Excel Viewer, it tells me the file is
corrupt. I don't need the full version of Excel with me on my notebook and
was hoping to just use the viewer. Is there a program from MS that can
check and correct these Excel files, like a recovery program, so I can use
these with viewer? Thanks.

Regards-Michael G.

What might this other program be?

Michael Gerbasio

Excel Viewer 2003 Problem

Gordon,
I'm not sure, it may be a proprietary estimating program. We don't work for
the same company but are working on the same project.

Regards-Michael G.

"Gordon" wrote in message
[...]

I was just wondering whether it might have been Open Office...

Jim Cone[_2_]

Excel Viewer 2003 Problem

Michael G,
Are you using the latest Excel viewer version?...

However, as that is a 76,000 kb download, I would think that installing a version
of Excel might be a better option.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"Michael Gerbasio"
wrote in message
Hi,
I'm a a co-worker sending me spreadsheets that are created in alother
program and saved as Excel files. I have no problem opening these in MS
Excel 2003 or 2007, but I do get a message that says the file is in a
different format than specified by the file extension but it opens fine.

When I tyr to open these in MS Excel Viewer, it tells me the file is
corrupt. I don't need the full version of Excel with me on my notebook and
was hoping to just use the viewer. Is there a program from MS that can check
and correct these Excel files, like a recovery program, so I can use these
with viewer? Thanks.

Regards-Michael G.

Don Guillett

Excel Viewer 2003 Problem

I don't use WORKS but perhaps?? it was a works file saved as an .xls file
that will open in xl2003 but may ?? not open with the viewer. Just a wild
guess....

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Michael Gerbasio" wrote in message
I'm a a co-worker sending me spreadsheets that are created in alother
program and saved as Excel files. I have no problem opening these in MS
Excel 2003 or 2007, but I do get a message that says the file is in a
different format than specified by the file extension but it opens fine.

When I tyr to open these in MS Excel Viewer, it tells me the file is
corrupt. I don't need the full version of Excel with me on my notebook and
was hoping to just use the viewer. Is there a program from MS that can
check and correct these Excel files, like a recovery program, so I can use
these with viewer? Thanks.

Regards-Michael G.

Alan[_10_]

Excel Viewer 2003 Problem

On Apr 23, 8:10*pm, "Michael Gerbasio" wrote:
Hi,
I'm a a co-worker sending me spreadsheets that are created in alother
program and saved asExcelfiles. I have no problem opening these in MSExcel2003 or 2007, but I do get a message that says the file is in a
different format than specified by the file extension but it opens fine.

When I tyr to open these in MSExcelViewer, it tells me the file iscorrupt. I don't need the full version ofExcelwith me on my notebook and
was hoping to just use the viewer. Is there a program from MS that can check
and correct theseExcelfiles, like a recovery program, so I can use these
with viewer? Thanks.

Regards-Michael G.

Hi,

I think you can try a utility called Advanced Excel Repair to repair
your Excel xls file. It works rather well for my corrupt Excel xls
files. Its web address is http://www.datanumen.com/aer/

Alan