-   -   excel: what is a link? (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/180574-excel-what-link.html)

Duma

excel: what is a link?

I would like to update a range of cells with any number that is input into a
specific cell

Bernie Deitrick

excel: what is a link?

Duma,

Select the range of cells, type the formula

=$A$1

(but with the cell address of the specific cell) and press Ctrl-Enter.

Or, type = and then select the specific cell and press Ctrl-Enter. This is the better way if the
cell is on another sheet.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Duma" wrote in message
I would like to update a range of cells with any number that is input into a
specific cell

Gord Dibben

excel: what is a link?

Do you mean you want to perform some math operation on all the cells when you
input a number into one specific cell?

Assume number is entered in A1.

Assume range is B1:B100

In C1 enter =B1*$A$1 which will multiply by the number in A1

Double-click on fill handle of C1 to copy down.

Another method is to enter a number in an unused cell.

Copy that cell.

Select the range to change and Paste SpecialMultiplyOKEsc

Change the number and do it again.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP