-   -   formula to get true average (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/176093-formula-get-true-average.html)

S Dotson

formula to get true average

Hi, I need a formula to achieve a average for some mutual funds I have
purchased over a period of years.
Column A contains the number of shares I have purchased and Column C contain
the price per share and Column D contains the cost for these shares. For
example column A2 contains 130.29 and Column C2 contains $18.30 and Column
D2 contains $2,484.25. Each cell in Column A contains a different number of
shares and likewise so does column C and D. I have 40 cells in Column A each
with a different number of shares and Column C has 50 cells each with a
different amount per share and Column D will have a different amount in each
cell. I need to obtain an average cost per share. Is there a formula I can
use to obtain this? Any help or advice you can provide will be greatly
appreciated.

Starlin

Gary''s Student

formula to get true average

Just divide the total cost by the total number of shares:

=SUM(D:D)/SUM(A:A)
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu2007d

"S Dotson" wrote:

[...]