-   -   SELECTING FROM A DROP DOWN LIST BY TYPING FIRST CHARACTER (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/172316-selecting-drop-down-list-typing-first-character.html)

MARGARET KISS

SELECTING FROM A DROP DOWN LIST BY TYPING FIRST CHARACTER

I have a drop down list, and I type Z and clik on the arrow, it tells me that
its wrong.

I can use characters a-c but anything past that it does not accept it. What
I am trying to do is select from a list by typing the First Letter.

I tried searching in this community, but I could not find anything that
addresses my issue.

Any help, would be greatly appreciated.

Gord Dibben

SELECTING FROM A DROP DOWN LIST BY TYPING FIRST CHARACTER

Was the dropdown list created using DataValidationAllowList?

What values are in the list? If Z is not on the list you will get the error.

Second point.................

There is no autocomplete function for DV lists.

You would have to use a combo-box dropdown to achieve autocomplete.

See Debta's site for more.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 09:10:02 -0800, MARGARET KISS <MARGARET
wrote:

I have a drop down list, and I type Z and clik on the arrow, it tells me that
its wrong.

I can use characters a-c but anything past that it does not accept it. What
I am trying to do is select from a list by typing the First Letter.

I tried searching in this community, but I could not find anything that
addresses my issue.

Any help, would be greatly appreciated.

David Biddulph[_2_]

SELECTING FROM A DROP DOWN LIST BY TYPING FIRST CHARACTER

Look at Data/ Validation.
--
David Biddulph

"MARGARET KISS" <MARGARET wrote in message
I have a drop down list, and I type Z and clik on the arrow, it tells me
that
its wrong.

I can use characters a-c but anything past that it does not accept it.
What
I am trying to do is select from a list by typing the First Letter.

I tried searching in this community, but I could not find anything that
addresses my issue.

Any help, would be greatly appreciated.

MARGARET KISS[_2_]

SELECTING FROM A DROP DOWN LIST BY TYPING FIRST CHARACTER

Thank you, I did use Data Validation and yes there is a Z in the drop down
list,

I will try your suggestion.