-   -   How do I find a value in an array (VLOOKUP? HLOOKUP?) (https://www.excelbanter.com/new-users-excel/17125-how-do-i-find-value-array-vlookup-hlookup.html)

M Skabialka

How do I find a value in an array (VLOOKUP? HLOOKUP?)

I have a height, weight and body fat table. The columns are height, the
rows are weight, and the info between is body fat.

I would like to on a separate worksheet, enter the height and the weight and
have Excel find the bodyfat from my table and enter it on this sheet so I
can print it.

I think I need a VLOOKUP or a HLOOKUP, but I can't seem to be able to get
either to look at both height and weight and return the body fat.

B4 is the height, C4 the weight
=HLOOKUP(B4,Women!B1:AO1,1) tells me the height.
=VLOOKUP(C4,Women!A2:A71,1) tells me the weight, but I already know these.
The value I need is in cell F30

Thanks,
Mich

Bernard Liengme

I have names the horizontal range ( Women!B1:AO1) with height values as
HEIGHT
I have names the rest of the table (without top line) (Women!A2:AO71 I
think) as TABLE
Then use =VLOOKUP(C4,table,MATCH(B4,height,1)+1)
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"M Skabialka" wrote in message
I have a height, weight and body fat table. The columns are height, the
rows are weight, and the info between is body fat.

I would like to on a separate worksheet, enter the height and the weight
and have Excel find the bodyfat from my table and enter it on this sheet
so I can print it.

I think I need a VLOOKUP or a HLOOKUP, but I can't seem to be able to get
either to look at both height and weight and return the body fat.

B4 is the height, C4 the weight
=HLOOKUP(B4,Women!B1:AO1,1) tells me the height.
=VLOOKUP(C4,Women!A2:A71,1) tells me the weight, but I already know these.
The value I need is in cell F30

Thanks,
Mich

M Skabialka